Thursday, December 12, 2013

Silver Linings



Source: theatlantic.com

I have this obsession with reading a book before its movie. Of course, this only applies to storylines that interest me. If a story isn't as catchy to me or not a genre I typically enjoy, I'll likely watch the movie and never read the book. I learned this the hard way about 15 years ago while going through my Nicholas Sparks stage. Message in a Bottle was on TV and I watched it with my then boyfriend (now husband)'s family...only to find that when I tried to pick up my copy of the book later I just couldn't read it. The story was ruined, even if the movie had changed parts. And it's hard to read a book you already know the story of when there are so many books waiting to be read. But watching a book come to life is altogether another thing.

So, all that to say that I finally read The Silver Linings Playbook, by Matthew Quick, so that I could watch the movie. The previews always looked interesting, but I'd never paid full attention and knew nothing about the story going into it. Needless to say, I was caught off guard, not expecting so much football (okay, playbook, I know, but still, there's lots of football) and mental illness. None of that seemed to come through the previews to me.

The book centers on Pat Peoples as he re-enters civilian life with his parents after living for years in a mental institution he calls "the bad place." Not knowing how he landed there or how long it has been, Pat has trouble adjusting to life due to complications he can't quite put his finger on. His family tiptoes around the touchy parts of the years gone by, even by not telling Pat it has been years since he's been gone! Through living life with his parents, brother, and friends, Pat begins to readjust to relationships and the quirks of his new mindset. Focused on becoming a better person and reuniting with his wife, Pat gives an inside look at how mental illness fights against the best of intentions. Not to mention the shocking way in which he ended up there.

The story flowed easily and well. The only hard part I had a hard time adjusting to is that Pat is 34 years old and his thought process seems to be on the level of a pre-teen. I can see where certain thoughts and behavior are affected by his mental illness and lack of memory, but the overall tone of a younger kid just kept throwing me off. Although this could just be my own ignorance on the subject.

It really threw me off in the movie though because the movie shortens the time Pat had been locked away and he is fully aware of why he was admitted and where his relationship stands for the most part. So his pre-teen behavior really doesn't add up. But, on the other hand, it was funny watching Jennifer Lawrence (as Tiffany) and Bradley Cooper (as Pat) interact as two "crazy" people falling in love. Many, many things were changed in the movie, but at least those two characters coming to life was amusing enough to make the movie worth watching. It makes me anxious to see Serena, where Cooper and Lawrence star as a couple as well. The movie hasn't made it to a U.S. opening as far as I know, but here's my review of the book.

Which book-to-movie didn't come out close enough to the book for you? Was the movie still worth watching?

17 comments:

  1. Is there anything Jennifer Lawrence can't do? She's so my girl crush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I've never had a girl crush, so she is just really that good!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you completely on the book being ruined if you've already seen the movie. I am reading Harry Potters now and really feel the books would have been more magical for me had I read them first. I still enjoyed the first one but really it was just the movie playing in my head. I would like to read the book sounds interestibg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The middle Potter books have some differences with the movies, so you'll get some nice surprises there :)

      Delete
  3. I found it disorienting that the whole book hinges on that one memory of how Patrick lashed out and the story is revealed near the end, but in the movie this mystery is out of the way really quickly. Did you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Because of it, the movie made less sense (to me). Pat is acting all crazy in the book because he has no clue what is going on. In the movie he is fully aware and so his behavior doesn't seem justified as much.

      Delete
    2. I agree, I read the book after the movie and found both approaches to the story completely different. They were both good though :)

      Delete
  4. I knew about the football but had no idea about the mental illness. I still haven’t read the book or seen the move, obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say it's a must read or even move it up on your TBR, but the book was better than the movie.

      Delete
  5. There are some adaptations like World War Z where everything is completely different and I think the movie is better as a result, so I would say it's still worth watching. On the other hand, the changes made to the first Percy Jackson movie made no sense to me, so I doubt I'll be seeing the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) will be the same. The book was not that great to me, but I have a feeling the movies will be an improvement.

      Delete
  6. I liked this book but I haven't seen the movie yet. Is it Oscar worthy? I think Jennifer Lawrence won the Academy Award for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I'm not sure I'd say it was Oscar worthy. I could see how someone would look at Jennifer Lawrence in this movie compared to her character in The Hunger Games...they are opposites. And I did enjoy Lawrence in the movie.

      Delete
  7. I saw the movie before reading the book, and I have to say that I loved the movie but didn't like the book. Maybe because I listened to it on audio, but the narration drove me crazy. And how does Pat have no idea how long he was in the hospital? Does he have no access to newspapers or the Internet? Ha, that was a huge peeve of mine.

    And I think his behavior makes sense in the movie because he is mentally ill; he's not going to act rationally or like an adult all of the time. It doesn't have to be because he doesn't know what's going on. Just my two cents, but I thought it actually made more sense in the movie; I didn't buy the whole "I have no idea what happened for years of my life" thing in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that makes sense. I think whichever I had seen first would've made the other seem off. Overall, I didn't care for either the book or the movie, except watching Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper interact.

      Delete
  8. You had me after the first sentence. I too can never watch a movie without having first read the book, it almost seems unfair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost never is the movie better. Even when it's fun to see the characters come to life, the book is still better!

      Delete