Sunday, December 1, 2013

Burial Rites: Based on a True Story

Source: www.theguardian.com

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent is a solemn fictionalization of the last criminal executed in Iceland circa 1828. The story focuses on Agnes Magnusdottir, who has been sentenced to death for the murder of two men, when the book opens. And what an opening! Kent delivers stunning prose from the start through Agnes's first person point of view: "I imagine, then, that we are all candle flames, greasy-bright, fluttering in the darkness and the howl of the wind....They will blow us all out, one by one, until it is only their own light by which they see themselves."

Agnes's first person point of view poetically pursues the emotional thought process of a woman condemned. Half of the story is told through a general third person omniscient narrator who speaks the emotions and thoughts of other characters in-between Agnes's tellings of the story. The third person narrator is markedly different. Emotions and thoughts of various characters can be seen; however, it lacks the poetic raw emotion of Agnes's telling. The result is an effective storyline that does more than tell a story, it draws the reader in and speaks of life.

The story itself follows Agnes through the last days of her life. Forced upon the family of a local, small time politician, she earns her keep working their farm as she awaits her final destination...death. Living with a convicted murderess keeps the family in fear for themselves and their belongings. An absolutely clueless, young priest is also sent in to save her soul before her execution is scheduled. Between the young priest and the women of the family, Agnes comes out of her shell and her story is made known, including the truth of that fateful night. The truth isn't always cut and dry, as Agnes makes clear, but it isn't always what we assume it to be either. Much like stories of the Titanic, you find yourself hoping the end will not happen as you knew it would from the beginning.

Hannah Kent's thorough research provides a strong framework for Agnes's life story and Kent's writing fills it out beautifully. Burial Rites is also in talks for a movie, with Jennifer Lawrence starring as Agnes. This will be something to see!

 Do you have a favorite book that is "based on a true story"?

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. I only heard good things about it and am very curious.
    My favorite "based on a true story" book is Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that one was based on a true story. I've seen it in the bookstore but never read about it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like quite an interesting book! Another one to add to my list... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, another one for the list! Quite welcome :)

      Delete
  3. Jennifer Lawrence is popping up all over as the go-to movie/book lady! She also just signed on to be in THE GLASS CASTLE. I loved this book but found it hard to get into in the beginning with the dialect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beginning moved a little slowly for me too. I just finished The Silver Linings Playbook today so I can watch that JLaw book-to-movie. I'm still waiting for Serena to release in the US, which was a book I read a month or so ago and JLaw is in as well. I wonder who she'll play in The Glass Castle? Jeanette Walls probably?

      Delete
  4. Jennifer Lawrence? Yay! She's awesome!

    But on the bookish front. . . this book seems to be all over the place. People just love it! So I really should try to get my hands on a copy, too! Fab review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I haven't heard too much negative bout it anywhere.

      Delete
  5. I was completely drawn in to this one!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what drew me to it was the fact that it was based on true events...that always adds to the story.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I kept hoping it would end differently than I knew it would. So much great writing in this book, it was hard to resist. I'm hoping that they keep the dark tone of the book in the movie, that's my biggest concern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The dark tone is so much apart of it...it would really change the story otherwise. Books to movies are exciting, but also nerve wracking!

      Delete
  8. Thanks a lot, now I have another one to add to the stack :)
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolynn! Trust me, even if you just run to the library and read through the first person narrated parts, you will so appreciate the writing of those parts.

      Delete
  9. Everybody loves this book. Why haven't I read it? Why didn't I know it was based on a true story? Oh man. I need to get on the ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add it to the list! It seems to hold up to its preceding reputation as a good one.

      Delete
  10. I can't WAIT to read this book! I've asked for it for Christmas so I have to wait but when I finally get my hands on it! OH MAN. It's ON.
    I think my favourite true story has to be In the Garden of Beasts! Is that cheating because it's non-fiction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that one! And I read Devil in the White City.

      Delete
    2. Why is that cheating? As they say, truth is stranger than fiction. I loved In the Garden of Beasts also -- and everything else by Eric Larson. I can't wait to read Burial Rites.

      Delete
    3. I thought maybe we were looking at fiction books that were inspired by real life events? I will stick with In the Garden of Beasts. I've been eyeing Thuderstruck every time we're in a bookstore...maybe it will make it under the tree this year - Erik Larson is one of the best at readable non-fiction.

      Delete
    4. You've gotta figure even sections of Larson's books are fictionalized. It's not possible to recreate everything strictly from research...at some point you're just piecing different things together by likelihood.

      Delete
  11. I barely remembered that I already own this one when it went on Amazon Daily Deal yesterday! I'm glad I didn't duplicate, but from the sounds of it, if I was going to duplicate a worthwhile book, it would be this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that twice...buy a book I already had. And I have two different books with the same cover art! Glad you have it...and hey if you were willing to buy it again, then you should read it sooner than later! Lol

      Delete
  12. This is my favorite book of the year, so I'm glad you liked it too! The writing in Agnes' perspective was so beautiful. This is the book that brought me closest to tears this year; I was shaking so hard at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved Agnes' pieces. And the switching of narration really made her thoughts and emotions stand out.

      Delete
  13. I LOVED this book. I hope everyone gets to read it.

    THANKS for sharing your thoughts.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved December/January Edition. I am in the list as #33. My book entry is below.

    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    BTW…Stop by for a FUN giveaway titled: Guess The Baby: Giveaway

    Giveaway ends on December 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will check out your post as well!

      Delete
  14. Loved this book and agree about the slow start. My favorite part of this post? That you have a photo of the headstone. That is classic and creepy. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is creepy! The two were buried on top the hill on which they were executed, but I think it was early 1900s, they moved the bodies to a single grave in the cemetery, which is the picture above.

      Delete
  15. Hi, wow, this seems definitely like a book that I would like to add to my list. Also, check out my blog:
    Awebooks 101 and also Awebooks102. Sure u will find some new books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. Never get tired of hearing about new books!

      Delete
  16. I want to read this book so bad! It's been on my wishlist since forever.

    ReplyDelete