Monday, December 16, 2013

Chunkster Reading Challenge

Source: www.chunksterchallenge.blogspot.com



Thanks to a few Tweets from fellow bloggers, I found the Chunkster Reading Challenge for 2014. The idea, as I understand it, is that you set a number of chunksters you want to read for the year and try to reach that goal.

But what is a chunkster you ask? Best answer comes straight from the Chunkster Reading Challenge site. A chunkster is an adult or YA book, non-fiction or fiction, that’s 450 pages or more. 

Rules for this challenge:

Audio books and e-books are now allowed. You want to listen to a chunkster on audio? Be my guest. 

Essay, short story, and poetry collections are allowed but they have to be read in their entirety to count.

Books may crossover with other challenges.

Anyone can join.

You don’t have to list your book ahead of time.

Graphic novels don’t count. Sorry guys but reading a chunkster graphic novel isn’t the same as reading a non-graphic chunkster.


In one year I read Les Mis, Anna Karenina, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Life After Life. So, I'm going to aim for five this year. I know it's not a big jump above what I did last year, but I'm also upping my Goodreads number for 2014 and the chunksters are going to bite into that challenge as it is! So we'll see.

The chunksters I plan on reading this year (although subject to change) are: The Goldfinch, The Passage, Cloud Atlas, The Grapes of Wrath, and something by Dostoevsky (not sure which I want to try yet). These are all on my TBR already too, so I'm killing three birds with one stone (TBR, Chunkster Challenge, and Goodreads yearly challenge)!

Do you like chunksters or do you prefer a slightly smaller read?

23 comments:

  1. You can do it! I'm so excited you're joining this challenge. I intend to take a pic of my potential stack tonight and post later this week or early next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to take a pic of my potentials! I have them all already though...they are also all TBRs I've had for awhile! Yay! Can't wait for your post!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I'm super impressed by how many chunksters you made it through this year. I couldn't get through Les Mis! Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite books, and I just started reading The Goldfinch last night. It's good so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! Cloud Atlas is going to wait until summer because I've heard you've got to pay attention to it. Goldfinch is going to be the first! Can't wait to see a review from you (assuming you will :)

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I am a sucker for challenges and overextended myself for 2013. I would love to read one chunkstet this year like Pillars of the Earth. I didn't realize Goldfinch or The Passage were so long but heard great things. Good luck and hope you enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Pillars of the Earth. The sequel, World Without End, is just as good. You can definitely read them separately, but once I got into one, it was easy to just keep going and read the other.

      Delete
  4. Fun! You know, part of the problem (or is it a bonus?) of almost exclusively e-reading is that I rarely pay attention to how huge a book is before diving in. I have been meaning to hit up some chunksters for a long time. I'm afraid to over-commit, but I might just sign up! (Unless I already did and forgot. That's a distinct possibility too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be a bonus...takes away second thoughts based on length and time, etc. If you do sign up, I'd love to hear what you might be reading!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh I love challenges and I'm going to participate in every one I find, you'll see!
    This one is great because I have several books (chunkster is a new word for me! hehe) with more than 450 pages; even I could have my own personal challenge about reading books with more than 800 pages :DDD
    The passage and The grapes of warth are very good books, hope you finally read these ones and enjoy them!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I found The Passage on your blog! I'm almost positive I'll be reading both of them.

      Delete
  6. I should really consider this, considering I'm on my 4th chunkster of 2013! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kinda what I figured. I read four within a 12 month period and still read more than I usually do in a year, so why not?

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your challenge. I participated in a 650 page challenge last year and it is a great way to get some of the bigger books out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...650 pages would make me have to replace a couple of my choices above. I was crossing my fingers while checking the pages of the big books I knew I already had and wanted to read! A couple just went over 450 I think.

      Delete
  8. I’m still scared of Anna Karenina. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was scarier than the book I thought...confusing if you didn't know it already for sure. Keep it on you radar...classics club challenge?

      Delete
  9. Good luck! Let me know when you're going to read Grapes! I plan on rereading it soon and would love to read it around the same time or even with you so we can chat about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm reading Goldfinch first because its kinda irresistible at the moment. And I know I want to read my Dostoevsky and Cloud Atlas in the summer because they may need the extra time and concentration. So Grapes of Wrath will be my second Chunkster - early 2014.

      Delete
  10. Omigod, I want to do this too! I've been putting off the whole War and Peace thing for forever. I definitely want to read the Goldfinch soon. Ian Kershaw's The End is sitting neglected on my bookshelf...I should do this! Probably.

    Thanks for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! You've got a good start on chunksters you want to read already!

      Delete
  11. Good luck! I'm looking forward to this challenge! I think I'll start with London by Edward Rutherfurd.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too! I upped my number of books when I realized how many books over 450 I read last year. I finished The Goldfinch and have moved on to Middlesex.

      Delete
  12. Grapes of Wrath is a quick read. Loved it. Crime and Punishment is pretty good if you want Dostoevsky.

    ReplyDelete