Sunday, December 8, 2013

Begin the Week with Words


This week's quote comes from Wilder Rose: Rose Wilder Lane, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Their Little Houses, by Susan Witting Albert. It is a researched fictionalization of the story behind the writing of the Little House on the Prairie series.

"I had yet to recognize how one-sided my relationships with people had always been, how I had always invested more than I'd received in return, expected more than most people could give, or be, or do. I hadn't quite learned that lesson. John was to teach me. But that was to come."

What I love about this quote is that I've learned this about myself recently. I invest more than I should into relationships sometimes and rarely can anyone (or will anyone) do the same for me. And like Rose speaking above, I even had a relationship that taught me this about myself more recently. It was a crushing, but needed, experience. This quote is the essence of what I mean about finding My Life in Books. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're reading this!! :) Great quote. There are soooo many great quotes in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you reviewed it and I was still able to get it on NetGalley. I've never watched the TV versions but have read the Little House books more times than I can count! It is weird to be reading a more real version of these people.

      Delete
  2. I love the quotes you share. I read The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott and really enjoyed the fictionalizaton of her lifr. Sounds like a book I would enjoy, though I admit I never read The Little House series *blushing*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding fictionalizations of real people are among my most favorite books to read! If you ever read it, read at least a few of the Little House books first. The difference between what you see in the Little House books and this book kinda shows how we romanticize authors and their lives.

      Delete
    2. And thanks! So glad you enjoy the quotes!

      Delete