Sunday, December 22, 2013

Begin the Week with Words

Source: brianorndorf.com
Read A Christmas Carol with my 7th graders the past couple weeks and I realized that having seen so many movie versions we've become accustomed to the meanings to the point of apathy. When Scrooge tells Marley he was just a good business man in life, Marley replies: 


"Business! Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"


In the preface Dickens tells the reader he hopes the story will "haunt you pleasantly." So be haunted! Service to others is the point of life year round, not just at Christmas. Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, Jennine, and have a wonderful time with your family!

    XO

    ReplyDelete