Friday, December 27, 2013

Go Big or Go Home

Source: lacrosselibrary.org

Since 2014 is just around the corner, I figured it's about time I put up a list of books I'd like to read to kick off the new year right! Usually, I make a list of 30 to start with and go from there, but I've noticed I often stray far and wide from that long of a list. So, I decided to make it more focused in hopes that books I really want to read won't get lost among others. Here are the top ten (always subject to change and in no particular order, of course):

1. The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. I will begin the new year with this one because it is hot, hot, hot right now; I own it already; and it's a Chunkster, which I love and had chosen to apply to the reading challenge I signed up for this year - the Chunkster Challenge.

2. The Storyteller, by Jodi Picoult. I love Jodi Picoult, but haven't really read anything of hers lately. I've heard many say her writing/ideas have gone downhill and that The Storyteller is a major comeback to her usual self. I don't know about all that, but I'm hearing good stuff, so I definitely want to read this one. Plus, at 460 pages, it counts as a Chunkster...yep, another for my reading challenge. I hadn't even put it on my list of possibilities for the Chunkster Challenge because I hadn't realized it fit the rules. Bonus!

3. Death of Bees, by Lisa O'Donnell. This is a newbie to the TBR pile. I've read numerous blog reviews praising both the story and the writing, particularly the book's gripping opening lines.

4. gods at war, by Kyle Idleman. I've read this Christian nonfiction author previously and this book has been on my TBR for the past year. The idea behind the book is that there are many things that fight for your attention, for your heart, for the glory that rightfully belongs to God. This book will be a great piece to carry over my 2013 goal of taking a good look at myself. There's always room for improvement.

5. The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien. This one is taught at my school (not by me) and holds that weighty literary merit feel...I feel like I should've read it by now.

6. The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. Numbers one through four on this list have been newer books, but this one comes from a longstanding position on my TBR list. I tried to get around to it in the fall, but didn't. So here it is, up front and ready. 

7. Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. Meets the Chunkster Challenge, although I didn't realize it, and it's another longstanding TBR book. My secondary challenge is to read from my TBR list as much as possible! Need I say more?

8. One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp. If this book sounds familiar, you're not crazy. This is at least the third time it's been on my blog. It was on my top ten for 2013 and I've decided it will be a New Year reread every year. It has a message I feel is detrimental to my life and I want to make sure I keep it fresh in mind. I may not review it (I did a mini review as part of a series of personal posts in April 2013 - see here), but the topic will come up again whether I do a review or not, I promise.

9, 10, 11. Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I WILL read Divergent by March when the movie comes out. I've always intended to read this book, but knew I had to wait for all books in the series to come out first. My memory doesn't hold detail well enough to wait a year or so for a new book in a series. I hear there is a fourth book coming in the summer (?), but figure if I spend March reading these three, June isn't that far away. So this is more like an 11 book list. And guess what? All three books meet the Chunkster Challenge Rules. 

This is quite opposite of how I started my reading last year. For 2013, I started with quite a few smaller books to get my count up quickly, kind of motivating myself. Surpassing my reading goal by eight books in 2013 has been motivation enough to up my Goodreads goal and "go big or go home."

Two things I know for sure. This is going to be a great start to my reading for the year. And I've totally miscounted the number of chunksters I typically read (I think I looked to higher page numbers than 450 when I counted this past year's chunksters). But with five books on this list that I didn't expect to be chunksters when I made my original goal, I think I need to up my goal for the Chunkster Challenge! 

What's on your list for the start of 2014?

18 comments:

  1. Good choices! The Goldfinch is at the top of my list, even though I’m not making an official one because I never stay on track, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one. I make a huge list of 30-50 every year and have forgotten it within a month. Out of a list of 49 books I made last year, I only read 19 from the list! And I read 68 books in all this year.

      Delete
  2. The Memory Keeper Daugher is one of my favorite books. Middlesex was really interesting. I received a copy of The Goldfinch for Christmas so it will probably be read in 2014. I am so excited to read the Divergent series. I think it will be my first read of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we've got similar TBRs going! I'll be watching for Goldfinch and Divergent on your blog!

      Delete
  3. I think I can get some good ideas from your list. I also planned on reading Divergent. A friend recommended it and I saw that a movie is coming out soon. Maybe we can talk about all the ways the book is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should go see the movie together...if you've read it, then I won't feel the need to lean over and state all of the differences! Haha.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping to post a list like this in the next few days too :) I actually haven't read any of the books on your list but Divergent, so I'll be interested to hear what you think about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your list! Half of these are from recent blog reviews I've read and half are from the TBR list from past years. I'm going to make myself intersperse them this year. Read a newer book and then an older TBR book.

      Delete
  5. Middlesex is one of my favorite books ever, so I'm glad to see it on your list! Looks like this will be a great start to your year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard to much about it that I can recall, so I'm glad to hear it should be a good one!

      Delete
  6. Great list! I really want to read The Goldfinch, because it sounds so amazing and everybody is positive about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first 100 pages in one day (yes, I started it already! I can't waste all this vacation time)! So far so good.

      Delete
  7. SUCH a great list! I'm looking through your list like, "yes that's on my list, too" and "oh that was soooo good" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Nothing better than to know someone whose reading taste you trust has read or wants to read books on your list :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt yet, but most of the bloggers I trust write such good reviews that I feel I need to. As you say, it is hot, hot right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I wait to read hyped books, but this one is so big it seems that bloggers can only touch on a little of it. Bigger books cover more territory so hype can't ruin them for you too much...what I seem to notice for myself anyway.

      Delete
  9. I'm making the effort to read a lot more women authors this year. So far on the list is My Antonia and Joy Luck Club so I think I'll tackle those first as I add to the list. On my blog, all the reviews in July will be books by women (which means I'm going to have to really add to that list!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people love Amy Tan, so I really should add her to my list too. She has a new book out as well.

      Delete