Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bookmark Faves


Every bookish person has a favorite reading accessory. I have a few: fleece blankets, lots of pillows to prop myself up in bed, drinks and snacks nearby. But the one I want to talk about today is the bookmark. I have more bookmarks than I could ever use at one time, and yet I don't hesitate to buy another one I fall in love with. So I thought I'd present my favorite/most used bookmarks over the past couple years. 


Oldest bookmark first. I bought the Wicked Witch of the West bookmark because I've always been a fan of The Wizard of Oz. It's always held this interest for me...maybe it's nostalgia because of the numerous times we watched it growing up. Before DVR, DVDs, and even before people started hoarding VHS tapes, The Wizard of Oz played on TV at least once a year and we never missed it. The oddball out that I usually am, my interest was always with the Wicked Witch. And in 2008 I bought and memorized the Wicked soundtrack and then flew off to Chicago for 24 hours just to see the musical. Loved it and found kindred spirits who also love the Wicked Witch like I do. (Not kidding, I have three shirts and a hoodie of her.)



Yes, Team Edward (notice, no icky Bella on this bookmark). Yes, I would've totally fallen for an Edward-esque boyfriend in high school. Yes, that is sad. Yes, I am way over that kinda thing! But, I still liked the Twilight books, saw midnight releases and the whole bit. I'm a sucker for some romance in books because it's not my thing in reality. Edward bookmark has been somewhat retired as of late. One I used often though, so I let him hang around (in my bedside drawer...no watching me sleep). 




This bird bookmark is my current love. It's a combination of many things. Aesthetically, I love the colors on the birds and the branches. I love birds too. Not as pets or an obsessive decorating theme, just in general. I think they're cute. And these ones are indeed cute! (FYI my favorite bird is the chickadee...I did go through a slight phase with them years ago.) Second, look at that awesome play on words! Who can resist?! "Feather your nest with books." Birds use feathers and what not to put their nests (home) together. People should put their homes together by adding books. And the idea that feathers are soft and comfy...implying (correctly) that books will make a house comfy too. LOVE IT!


This lovely set of four is the newest addition to my bookmark collection. They came in the mail late last week as a gift from my "Secret Elf" (who turned out to be blogger friend JSmeth over at Book-alicious Mama. Check it out)! These bookmarks actually inspired this post. Remember the nostalgia of The Wizard of Oz? Well, it also applies to Disney's The Little Mermaid and Alice in Wonderland. Yes, I own shirts and a purse for this one. And now this beautiful set of personalized bookmarks! Bird bookmark is going to have to take turns. I am especially fond of the little card guy for some reason. So cute!

What does your favorite bookmark have on it?

31 comments:

  1. Ew, no icky Bella bookmarks! I love these. My favorite book accessories are, of course, my Kindle, my red plaid fluffy blanket (which is currently missing and I have the sinking feeling my husband took it to work and that it’s gone forever), and my heating pad (because in the winter time my toes get cold).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the fluffy blanket! I'd pick my blanket over bookmarks I think!

      Delete
  2. I love that bird bookmark, and definitely the ones Jennifer sent you, cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird bookmark is so pretty... I too can't resist a new bookmark. At least it's a collection that doesn't take up too much room and is useful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. I will remind my husband that next time he asks why I'm buying another one!

      Delete
  4. I love that my gift inspired this post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oww those are some very nice bookmarks. Love the bird one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so awesome! I'm especially fond of the Wicked Witch one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing is it's glittery, which makes it prettier, but glitter drives me NUTS! Luckily it came in the little plastic holder...contains the glitter!

      Delete
  7. Sorry but I'm soooo Team Jacob. Tall, dark, and handsome is my taste! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be more specific. When I originally read the books, I was Team Edward. But when I saw the movies, well, I'd have to say Team Jacob was looking really, really good! So I kinda float between the two!

      Delete
  8. I'm so terrible at keeping bookmarks, I lose them all the time, so I'm amazed at your ability to hold on to them! I just keep a stack of the freebies from my local bookstores because I know I will end up dropping or losing mine somewhere in a book :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I have a pile of freebies in my kitchen junk drawer. I stick ones in which I lose interest in there. These ones stay in my bedside drawer when not used. My tiny bit of OCD kicking in!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh! I love those Alice in Wonderland bookmarks SO MUCH! Alice is so my homegirl. What a great gift! Man. Now I'm worried my secret elf gift will pale in comparison. I'm going to hound Jennifer and find out where those were purchased. I want a set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can recall off the top of my head it that it was a store on etsy.com and located in CA.

      Delete
  10. It's from Square Books in Oxford MS. That's it - very plain, but that's such an institution for writers, steeped in history and just walking into the place makes you feel a part of another world. The likes of people like John Grisham, Larry Brown, Tom Frankling, and many others...have all breathed the air in there. When I go, aside from buying books, I just stand and soak it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drats - I meant Tom Franklin...too early!

      Delete
    2. Sounds awesome! Sometimes things are likable more because of the place it's from or has been to.

      Delete
  11. I love them!
    I also have more bookmarks than I can use at the same time (and perhaps in my life! haha), but I like to get new ones :)
    I like the ones of your secret elf :) and Team Edward? Really? I think Jacob is much cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team Edward in the books - before we were given such a fine visual representation of Jacob ;)

      Delete
  12. I have the "feather your nest with books" bookmark too! I think someone gave it to me as a gift many years ago. I also love the Alice in Wonderland bookmarks!

    My favorite bookmark is one I picked up at the Buffalo Small Press Book Fair. It's really big -- about as long as a hardcover book -- and heavy-weight, and it's letter-pressed with the words WATCH LESS on one side and READ MORE on the other, in a gorgeous font.

    I also like picking collecting the bookmarks many indie bookstores give out when you buy a book; I have branded bookmarks from Harvard Bookstore and City Lights in San Francisco! They don't get used very often, but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are like little pieces of art, which makes sense that we would collect them!

      Delete
  13. Two years ago, I would have bought that Edward bookmark. Honestly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we go through stages with some books? Right now I probably wouldn't buy Twilight anything. But I liked Twilight anything the year after the last book came out.

      Delete
  14. When I was a kid, I didn't think anything of dogearing books. Bookmarks were for chumps! But eventually the idea of dogearing a page filled me with the same horror as a broken (book) spine. So I started using random slips of paper which gave way to freebie bookmarks. And that's where I am today! Have you ever lost one of these lovely bookmarks? At least with the free ones, it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I've never lost one. I have what I call selective OCD. I am only OCD about certain things. So my books and bookmarks are always accounted for. My kids are a different story. They use my drawer of freebies.

      Delete
  15. I don't use bookmarks, but your new ones make me want to. So cute!

    ReplyDelete