Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Why I Teach

Source: www.mrs-alanas-miscellany.com
High stakes state tests that total at least two months of our school year to administer; scores tied to teacher evaluation, even some of students I don't have in class; practice for state tests three times a year minimum; endless administrative tasks to help students and families stay aware of grades and classroom activities; endless planning to keep on track with common core and most current student data; monthly professional development; teacher portfolios; field trips; continually grading essays and research papers; chaperoning events after school hours; providing for class activities out of teacher's pocket (such as my complete classroom library). And I'm sure I've missed a few somethings that could be added to this list.

Craziness, right? So, why do I teach?

Seniors' last day was today. I received a picture from a student I had in 7th and 9th grade. She wrote on it:   "Mrs Gleghorn, Thank you again for that letter of recommendation. You supported me even after having your class. You are willing to do a little extra for those who ask and I appreciate that. You're one of the best teachers I've had!"

Also received a picture from another student I had last year, who was well behaved but quiet, and has steadily read his way through my classroom bookshelf throughout the past two years. He wrote on the back (in extremely small print...don't know how he did it): "Mrs. Gleghorn, I have many reasons to thank you. First, thank you for being the best teacher ever. Second, thank you for making me pick up reading again. You introduced me to so many books like The Fault in Our Stars, The Great Gatsby, and Miss Peregrine's. Also, thank you for making me want to write again. I am currently working on a novel that I started after having a talk with you about writing. I guess I should thank you for encouraging me to take AP Comp. It may have been the most stress inducing class ever, but I learned some valuable skills that I will be able to use in the future. If there is anything else I have forgotten about, thanks for that too." 

Looking back at my own special teachers, the quote that springs to mind is one of the Maya Angelou's, who passed away this morning at age 86: People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

What more can I ask for than that? That I inspired a student, the same as the teachers before inspired me. The subject may no longer matter five, ten, fifteen years down the road...and maybe not even the exact lessons learned. But that inspiration is priceless. It's what carries people into their future endeavors and pushes them to impact their own world in return.

This is why I teach.

20 comments:

  1. This is SO SWEET! You are changing lives, that must be so rewarding. Makes the headaches worth it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely makes it easier to go back to "the grind" part of the job!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad there are still moments like this! I have two friends who are teachers and they seem to completely agree with you. I do wish that teaching was easier and more rewarding on a daily basis though. It seems like the bureaucracy and standardization of teaching has really made it difficult. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it difficult and it's driving good teachers from education. Moments like these keep us going!

      Delete
  3. What special comments from students!! Especially the one about encouraging the student to read and write. How rewarding for you!

    I can think of two teachers in particular that inspired me to read and write and I am so thankful for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember my 8th grade English teacher clear as anything. She was a tough, strict, older woman and everyone thought she was mean. She was the first person to tell me I could write. I visited her every year through graduation. She sent me a graduation present and came to my wedding. I've been out of touch with her but she's the reason I started writing, read more, and became a teacher. Her touch of inspiration altered my path.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I wish I had an English teacher like you. You'll have to keep us posted on how your student does with his novel. So wonderful that you inspire your students so much.

    My oldest is fortunate to have an English teacher that promotes reading above all. I bet he's close to reading through her bookcase too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Teachers spend so much time with students just over the years in the same building together, even after they've left your class, so it's always a blessing when the good ones stand out and take the time to sow into students' lives.

      Delete
  5. This is so true!! I am reminded of this so often, maybe because music lessons are one-on-one and tend to feel more personal. But I have such fond memories of many of my school teachers who inspired me!

    What's so great about my field is, I'm now colleagues with several of my former teachers who are basically responsible for me being where I am now. It's so special to perform alongside them as an equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really cool! I would love that. I actually am colleagues with all of my husband's former teachers - I work at his high school! I've heard many good stories from them! Lol.

      Delete
  6. So amazing! Teaching is one of the most important vocations out there! Your students are very lucky to have such a passionate teacher in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I know I'm biased now, but I thought so long before I decided to be a teacher. I always loved my teachers.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post. I like to see teachers as the ones who hold the light for others to see. I loved many of my teachers and now teach myself (French as a second language). Don't tell my boss, but I love it so much I could do it for free. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm convinced us teachers are crazy...but it's a good crazy.

      Delete
  8. Teacher are such amazing people. You truly don't get the credit that you deserve for shaping our children into the adults they become. Your heart for those you serve, even with all of the chaos and hard work, is admirable and I'm grateful for your contributions to our children's education. Thank you for linking up to the #smallvictoriessundaylinky! You have been pinned to the group board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. I am an aspiring English teacher, and although I'm excited, I'm also very nervous. But your words have reminded me of why I want to teach. And it's true that although we don't remember every single lesson from high school, we do remember the classes that we enjoyed, and the teachers who were kind to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep that passion and hold tight to the reminders. The system does, maybe unintentionally, beat it out of you. So always be looking for the good things, they'll keep you going.

      Delete