Friday, May 9, 2014

Nantucket Book Festival


Anyone live in, around, or near Nantucket, Massachusetts? Or are you able and willing to travel? If so, you are one lucky book lover. Nantucket is holding its third annual book festival June 20-22, 2014. I don't always hear about bookish events near me, so I'm always glad when someone keeps me informed. I thought I'd do my part in spreading the word about events when I receive information too. (Note: picture and all quotations are from official contacts of the festival.)

The Nantucket Book Festival "seeks to create and renew enthusiasm for books, connect authors with readers, encourage a love of reading and writing in a younger generation, and raise funds for literary causes." If you visit the site, you will find a list of events and which authors will be participating. Events vary from author presentations, to luncheons, and even a yoga event and open mic night! And each event has an author(s) involved. The events "allow unprecedented access to notable authors and facilitate casual interactions for all involved."


Besides involvement in the events, authors attending will be signing books. The authors span multiple genres and among them are Alice Hoffman, Jodi Picoult, and Dani Shapiro - just to name a few familiar names. (What I wouldn't do to meet Jodi Picoult AND have brunch!)

If this sounds interesting and you are nearby, check it out. "Unprecedented access" to authors sounds like a promising experience! Not to mention all the wonderful book people you will meet!

What's the best book event you've been to? Or which would you like to attend some day?

6 comments:

  1. I love going to book festivals. I'm lucky in that i've lived in three cities - Vancouver, Toronto and Edinburgh - with big book festivals. Go and have a great time just being surrounded by other bookish people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I'm going yet or not, but it looks and sounds lovely!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like so much fun!! Too bad Oregon isn't close to Massachusetts!! Though I am lucky to live an hour away from Powell's City of Books in Portland :) I look forward to reading about your experience at this event!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living on the eastern border of Ohio, the closest city is Pittsburgh, PA. So, not too much book activity going on in my immediate area, but some travel-able cities in nearby states. Not sure if I'm headed to this one or not.

      Delete
  3. This sounds awesome! I hope you have a wonderful time :) It's about an 8 hour drive from where I am, which is short enough for me to feel like I really should be able to go but long enough that I really shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 12 hour drive for me, so I'll only go if I can find a friend or talk my husband into going for a couple days!

      Delete