Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday Bout of Books

I started today completely hopeless as far as Bout of Books is concerned. Buried in grading all day long was not faring well for my evening, which I knew needed to be spent grading as well. Research papers...English teachers can't live with them and can't live without them.

So I came home and made myself a deal. If I graded all of my easy stuff - the 7th graders' vocabulary and Op-Ed essays, then I'd allow myself to read. So I graded all of the easy stuff and promptly fell asleep. Yep. Out cold for a couple hours.

Good thing though, cause I'm a light sleeper and there is one hell of a thunderstorm ripping through the county right now. So, at least I got some sleep earlier! And I can sit here and read! So, my progress?

Well, as usual, I made a goal to read certain books and immediately changed my mind. I've been reading mostly e-galleys sent from publishers/NetGalley, so I found myself itching to have a book in my hands. Since my next review book is Closed Doors, by Lisa O'Donnell (coming May 20th), I figured I'd also read The Death of Bees, which seemed like a hit when it came out.

So, I've read 100 pages for Monday night and whoa, what a crazy story so far. Definitely paints a picture for the reader. Can't wait to make myself a deal for Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. Deviating a little bit from the topic - I just started reading in e-formats, and I never expected that the experience would be sooo different! It definitely has some added value (e.g., I read faster, and the whole process feels more interactive), but I do miss having the real physical book in my hands, turning the pages, making notes on the margins and all this kind of stuff.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read faster in e-formats as well. I wonder if it's because I can't see how much I have left.

      Delete
  2. Reading while listening to a thunderstorm sounds fun!! Especially with a cup of coffee or tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, nice way to pass the storm. Something about rain makes reading feel cozier.

      Delete
  3. You're doing great! I'm done with grading for the semester (wahooo!!!) but now I have to contend with kiddo and husband. They are sweethearts and allow me time to read in the evenings, but they like to converse more than they like me to read. heheh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo on the end of grading! After these research papers it will be all downhill for me! My kids are becoming opposite...I've got to get them to talk to me! Lol ages and stages, just when you think you know what you're doing...

      Delete
  4. I loved Closed Doors and have Death of Bees sitting on my desk. I can't wait to get to it. Lisa O'Donnell may be one of my new favorite writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting Closed Doors tonight! Glad to hear you liked it!

      Delete
  5. I sometimes just want to read a physical book too! There's something a bit unsatisfying in switching from one ebook to another, because I feel less like a finished a book when the object I'm holding doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably what it is! I read so many e-galleys in a row and of course, they all look the same.

      Delete