Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vacation Reads

Source: blisstree.com
No, this is not me!

It's July, which means I have exactly one month to get together my vacation reading list. We're heading to Destin, Florida for a week and I've already informed my parents and sister that this will work out well as long as when I slink off with a book somewhere they leave me be.

Sounds rude maybe, but I'm not a great traveler. I am the ultimate homebody. Many people love their homes/hometown, but I love mine to the point that I don't even care to ever leave it. I've got everything I need here in my family, friends, and books. I know how to get around and where to go when I need something. It's the familiarity I love, I think. And maybe that's why I love books so much...they allow me to travel without ever leaving my home.

So my family knows this and they understand that I will have to hunker down with my book and disappear every so often, finding my home away from home. So that leaves me with the absolutely dreaded chore (oh the pain..yea right) of making a vacation reading list! I've already consulted one of my bookish friends, Kari, who is a librarian, because she was making a vacation reading list recently too. She says from my options, I must read The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. (Oh and you can find my librarian friend Kari at her blog, The Anxious Antisocialite. She is hilarious, I love even just reading her FB posts about work and family. Kinda reminds me of Jenny Lawson, author of Let's Pretend This Never Happened.)

Here's the list I'm considering (yes Kari, it's already changed from last time):

The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
If I Stay - Gayle Forman
Where She Went - Gayle Forman (sequel to above)
I Am the Messenger - Markus Zusak
He's Gone - Deb Caletti
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford

OR...I could blow off the whole list and take The Count of Monte Cristo, which is sure to tide me over the week. (Original plan was to start it next week and see if I could finish it off by vacation.)

I also have The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald on my iBooks app, so if I find myself without much light somewhere, I'll be set. I'm also curious if reading on an e-reader makes you carsick, like reading from a book does to me. It's so sad because driving to Florida (from Ohio) seems like some prime reading time!

If you've read anything on my list and think it's a good choice, please let me know! Or, if you have a great suggestion for a vacation read, suggest it below! I'm looking to take at least two books along with my iPad Kindle, which has two.

7 comments:

  1. "And maybe that's why I love books so much...they allow me to travel without ever leaving my home." I can't even tell you how much that statement resonates with me. YES!

    The Devil in the White City was fantastic if you ask me ;) If you're interested in nonfiction The Boys in the Boat is another GREAT choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely interested in nonfiction. Between you, Leah, Rebecca, and Allison, I can never remember who posted about what, but I know someone did a post on The Boys in the Boat. Maybe it was even Tanya?

      Delete
    2. Haha! I feel the same way with some of the blogs I read religiously. Like, hmmm . . . was it you? Or you? Or you? :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy Destin! I went to FSU, which is in Tallahassee, only about an hour and a half away, and we would go to Destin for the beach and the great outlet mall!

    I hope you get some great reading done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my mom is already making plans for the outlet mall. She and my dad stayed there for the entire month of February in 2012 and she said she couldn't stay away from the outlet mall. We are going to buy school clothes and shoes for the kids!

      Delete
  3. Have fun! Like Rebecca, I went to FSU and Destin is a lot of fun but I totally understand the need to get away and read or have some down time. I'm pretty sociable, but I really need to have some me-time to stay that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I think it keeps me sociable too! As sociable as I can be anyway ;)

      Delete