Friday, July 5, 2013

Internet Book Search

Source: www.omijan.com



I received an email today from a company by the name of Omajin. Omajin is a new online start-up that will specialize in allowing readers to find books based on subject interest. For example (from their site), if I wanted to read a crime book, I could enter up to five descriptive words or phrases into the search bar, such as: revenge, homicide investigation, dirty cop, framing a suspect, New York. The site would then bring up books whose subject matter matches my search words, also giving me a total percentage of how much the book's plot matches my keywords. It will even break down each keyword's percentage of involvement in the story. (See the Omajinary View link below for more details.)

Omajin is currently open for authors and publishers to log their books and needed information onto their site. The public, worldwide release and use of the site is set for January 13, 2014. Right now Omajin is counting on book bloggers to get the word out about their enterprise. It's bookish business right? So check out the Omajin website, where you can find an official Omajinary View and some other information under the Helpful Info link at the top right of the page.  If you are a blogger, they are open to requests for an exclusive news release, Q&A, or a 600-word article about the new start-up and its search engine. Bloggers can send requests for any information to Isaac Davis (Omajin co-owner) at booksearchtechnology@omajin.com. Feel free to post on this topic bloggers and spread the word.

There is another book search idea in the works called Evoke; however, Evoke searches based on character mapping. You can read more about Evoke and find links for it from Allison over at The Book Wheel.

Not sure how helpful this site would be for me, I tend to be able to find books just fine without much searching. However, I can see how it might help others who want subject specific books because they mainly enjoy those specific subjects. Anyone think this might be something they'd use?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I'm going to have to check out Omajin because I've never even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I haven't heard of it either and there isn't much to the site yet, but they are trying to spread the word according to the email I received.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I have never heard of it! I'll look into it!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their website is a little sparse right now, but should have more closer to January I would think.

      Delete
  3. We really appreciate the promotional mention. Thanks for helping to improve the world literacy rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I will be checking in, in January when it's ready to run!

      Delete