Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Quilted Magic


When I read there is one thing needed besides my book...a nice blanket. Preferably fleece. Yes, even in summer, I at least need it nearby to cuddle up in at some point while I read.

As a reading accessory, I pick my blanket as I would my bookmark or where I read. Related to books if at all possible. Comforting and maybe even unique. At the very least, pleasing to my eye. So imagine how excited I was to receive an email about blankets that contain books?!

Kerry Larkin of Boulder, CO has a unique start up called Comma Workshop (located in Lyons, CO) that combines everything she loves: modern quilting, stories, and typography. Yep, you guessed it, her company stitches words from stories onto quilts, pillow cases, pillows, tea towels, and throws. So not only will you be wrapped in a blanket, but literally in the very words themselves!

Source: Comma Workshop via kickstarter.com
As the company expands, they will be able to offer different authors and works on their blankets. Right now phrases from Thoreau, such as "Live Deliberately" and "We can never have enough nature" appear on the smaller items. A queen size quilt contains the entire chapter Solitude from Walden. The next authors the company has in mind are Jane Austen, Rumi, and Shakespeare. Comma Workshop also does custom work, quilting wedding vows, well wishes, and the like onto throws or quilts.

Since this is a new and expanding company, they are in need of support from those who have similar passions and the finances to back them. (Note: financial backing comes with a reward - see site.) For those who cannot financially back them, but love the idea, Comma Workshop needs you to spread the word. Of course, people are also welcome to place orders. So please feel free to checkout the website, blog about it, talk about it, spread the word! 

8 comments:

  1. How beautiful and what a wonderful idea! I will share the word. I am just like you, need to cuddle with a blanket (and preferably a bed) even in the summer when I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that's my favorite place to read! Propped up in bed on a bunch of pillows!

      Delete
  2. That is SO COOL! I read mostly in bed- a soft cuddly blanket makes the perfect companion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I hope they do well and get ore colors and authors from which to choose! I would love to get one.

      Delete
  3. As someone who dabbles in quilting a little bit (and of course is a bookworm), I love this idea! Will have to check out the website... Wonder if they would quilt something that's already been sewn, just needs to be quilted together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, there is contact info on the site. What is the biggest thing you've quilted?

      Delete
    2. By machine? Around 57"x80" (my largest quilt is queen size but I handtied). The latest patchwork I finished is 72x84 but I won't quilt it until after I've finished the baby's quilt.

      Delete
    3. Wow, what a cool skill/talent to have! I have a few friends who crochet, knit, and/or quilt and it amazes me. (I've tried - not so good.)

      Delete