Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo

Source: paperbackswap.com


(No Spoiler Alerts! This is more about the experience.)

It is finished! I started reading The Count of Monte Cristo (aka CMC) on July 6th and finished it 19 days later, on July 24th. My goal was to read 100 pages a day to finish it in two weeks, so I wasn't too far off. What's an extra 4-5 days for a book the size of four or five books? It is definitely faster than I read Les Mis, by about two weeks! I really enjoyed the story. From the very beginning you follow Edmond Dantes on an unbelievable journey that begins with false imprisonment and ends with the most elaborate revenge scheme known to man. This book captivates and reads as easily as people say.

The first thing I liked about CMC is that the action picks up right away. The very first chapter finds one character already opposing another, with chapters two and three immediately adding to the mounting character opposition. If doorstop size classics scare you, this one should be an exception. Unlike Dickens's works or even Les Miserables (which I loved and wrote about here by the way), CMC overdoes neither description nor background information. You are given what is needed to imagine the scene and follow the action, of which there is plenty. (I recall maybe two or three side stories that end up being stories within the main story, but they relate directly to the overall story as well.)

Another seeming obstacle with classics is the language. Of course, this often depends on the translation you read - all translations are not created equal and, unfortunately, I know little about French to English translators. I read half of CMC from my paperback copy, which is from The Modern Library Classics (specific translator not given). However, because of the physical size of the book, it was hard to always read when I usually would - like when snacking at night or laying down before bed. So, half of the time I read from a free copy I found on my iPad's iBooks app. The iBook edition has a generic cover and no publishing information is given at all. I did a comparison beforehand and found that although a few chapters had different titles and parts of the two texts translated into more or less detail than the other here and there, the meaning aligned. What can I say though, in both versions the book was smoothly read and easily understood. Within the first 10-12 chapters (approximately 130 pages), the story has already unfolded and you can only wonder what the next 1,300 pages might bring!

If you've been meaning to read this, keep it on your radar. It is a great, easy to read classic!  Which classics and/or "big books" have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. OMG 1300 pages...it would be easier to row across the Atlantic in an egg carton with a teaspoon as an oar. I'm still working on TKM.I haven't given up yet but my effort is flagging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's actually 1492 pages! I always start out at a good pace and then the last few hundred I tend to drag out, even if it's a good book. Hmmm...maybe I should send you a syllabus with reading schedule for TKM ;) lol

      Delete
  2. I have never read this but it sounds good! I'm thinking a winter/rainy season book (1300 pages!). Adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely have to look where a book of this size will fit in your schedule. Summer was good because I don't have to work and my kids don't have school work added to their schedules. I read Les Mis over November and December in 2012 because of the vacation days!

      Delete
  3. For some reason I didn't have to read this one in high school, but my sister did and I THINK she enjoyed it. I do know that the ending of the book and the movie are completely different and the English teachers always had an essay test about the end....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not imagine reading/teaching a book this big in a high school classroom. It would be a nightmare no matter how good the book. Students lose interest so quickly. I was told the movie is very good, although different from the book. It's part of what motivated me to read it, so I could watch the movie.

      Delete
  4. This is on my Classics Club list and I'm actually excited to get to it now, thanks to your review! :D Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Is Classics Club within a time limit - like a year - or just however long it takes?

      Delete
  5. I wanted to reread this. It was one of the only classics I read that I loved as a teen. However, I don't remember it being 1400 pages! Clearly I read an abridged version. I think I've got this on my classics club list as a re-read. Classics Club is a 5 year challenge from whichever date you start it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five years is a pretty good time for it. Do you make your own list? And is there a required number of classics you need to put on the list?

      Delete
  6. One thousand four hundred and sixty two pages.
    YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!!
    Whew...okay now I feel better. I read People every week, I'm a contemporary reader. Once in awhile I read Reader's Digest. That's a classic, does that count? No? I didn't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Reader's Digest! What's the longest book you've ever read Carolynn? And don't say To Kill a Mockingbird ;)

      Delete
  7. Does working on The Bros. K for 3 years count as having read a big book? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the crazy schedule you work and four little kids, I'd say yes!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely loved this book. It's my favourite classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is right up there in my top three. I think the rivals for it are Les Miss and Anna Karenina. If I had to pick, I'd say number two, after Les Mis.

      Delete
    2. I want to read those two as well. I would probably start with Anna Karenina first.

      Delete