Thursday, June 27, 2013

Up and Coming



Hey everyone! I have lots of books I want to talk about, but I know some of you who follow my blog have families and you like to see the up and coming books about family relationships. So, I wanted to let you know my kids will be joining me in the next few months to present their views on a few books we are going to read and implement. (This is a preview of my nonfiction to come - other book postings will be made in between these as well.)

August will bring my review on books with the topic of husbands, those creatures you think are fellow adults, yet you just can't figure out how...featuring 52 Things Husbands Need from Their Wives, by Jay Payleitner and Getting Your Husband to Talk to You, by Bob and Cheryl Moeller.

Also in August, my daughters and I will bring you discussion on Talking with Your Daughter About Best Friends and Mean Girls, by Dannah Gresh. (Who can pass up a book with "Mean Girls" in the title?!)

September brings the new school year and new choices your kids will face as they gain another year of life experience. My daughters will be in 9th and 7th grade this year and we've decided to read A Girl's Guide to Making Really Good Choices, by Elizabeth George.

Likewise, my son, who will be in 3rd grade, has agreed to post with me in October on the new release A Boy's Guide to Making Really Good Choices, by Jim George.

We hope all of our family followers will enjoy the joint effort of these book reviews and find something to use within your families!

But until then, stay tuned for some upcoming fiction, my first genre love!


Oh, and I took this quiz on what kind of reader I am over at Book Bloggers International (take a minute to read through some of the blogs they showcase - this link will take you to BBI's showcase of one of my favorite blogs currently in the spotlight: Jennifer from The Relentless Reader.)

Anyway, the quiz had this to say about me as a reader:

Your responses showed you fitting equally into all four reading personalities:

Involved Reader: You don't just love to read books, you love to read about books. For you, half the fun of reading is the thrill of the chase - discovering new books and authors, and discussing your finds with others. 

Exacting Reader: You love books but you rarely have as much time to read as you'd like - so you're very particular about the books you choose. 

Serial Reader: Once you discover a favorite writer you tend to stick with him/her through thick and thin. 

Eclectic Reader: You read for entertainment but also to expand your mind. You're open to new ideas and new writers, and are not wedded to a particular genre or limited range of authors.

Does this mean I'm the Ultimate Reader?! Haha! That's what I'm going to conclude. Take the quiz - what kind of reader are you?

7 comments:

  1. You are the ULTIMATE READER!! :) Thanks for the shout out!

    I love that your family is going to join you on your blog, what a great idea! I'm looking forward to their book thoughts :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love your blog :) I can't wait to see what my family has to say about these books too! You know, from the mouths of babes...

      Delete
  2. Nice pics, good looking family.

    That you got your family involved is one thing, I wish I could think of a better word than awesome, but the reading choices, brilliant. Can't wait for the discussions.

    Any books with "mean old ladies" in the title? Now that's something I'd read.

    BTW I am reading TKaM and I'm liking it. (I can't write out the title because I'm embarrassed that I've never read it.)

    I write so much that it takes me a long time to finish a book, which means I usually disengage and never finish. So far so good with the bird. I expect my gold star when I finish, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, did you like that sneaky way I put meaningful, helpful books in there! Lol!

      So glad TKM is going well! I just joined a blog discussion on that book coming up in a few weeks. It's at http://roofbeamreader.com/2013/06/28/read-along-to-kill-a-mockingbird-july-15-aug-1/ If you're interested (or have time).

      I'm cheating a little I guess, lol. I've read it so many times, taught it for six years, and wrote a 20 page research paper on the publication history (including the making of the movie) in grad school.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and you give me a place to send a gold star and you'll get one all right!

      Delete
  3. It's like a whole chunk of great family books! Enjoy them!!!!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will! And it will be nice to have my NetGalleys cleared out so I can pick up some things I've been meaning to read for awhile!

      Delete