Sunday, August 2, 2015

Begin the Week with Words

                 


I read Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman and was delighted that a few good quotes hit me. I'll be writing a review later this week, but for now, some wise words (in no particular order) from Harper Lee, including the back cover pictured above:

"...the time your friends need you is when they're wrong, Jean Louise. They don't need you when they're right -" 


"Prejudice, a dirty word, and faith, a clean one, have something in common: they both begin where reason ends." 


"When you get past all the boa feathers, every woman born in this world wants a strong man who knows her like a book, who's not only her lover but he who keepeth Israel. Stupid, isn't it?" 

6 comments:

  1. I'm interested to hear what you thought of the book! I haven't read it yet, trying to wait a bit until I can come at it without too much baggage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm trying to form my thoughts on it, connect the characterization from TKAM and see what I think. So far, I don't think I'm agreeing with the naysayers who think Atticus is racist.

      Delete
  2. I've got the book too, Jennine. I haven't read it yet either...and I thought the other day I need to get to it before too long. Last book that had this much controversy was the 50 Shades trilogy, and b/c of all that, I bought the first book - which I have YET to read, and don't know now if I ever will. I thought by the time I get to WATCHMAN all the hubbub will likely have subsided. Story of my life lately. LOL! I'm late to everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one might be a good one to be late on. All the ruckus annoyed me! I didn't think it was as bad as people were saying. Review coming out today.

      Delete
  3. I cried. And I don't cry when reading books. I really felt Jean Louise. I'll be interested to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting it up in a minute. I liked it...didn't think it was as bad as the reviews I read ahead of time said it was.

      Delete