Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Heart Sisters: Be the Friend You Want to Have

Source: Amazon.com
Well, the summer months have not ceased to throw stones, so to speak, but there have been moments and events in between the crazy to buoy my spirit and I'm thankful for that. Mostly, it's been fun and conversation with family and close friends that has uplifted me. What would we do without friends? And yet, friendship is a tough topic. If you've been around my blog for a longer period of time, you'll know I've spent the past couple of years seeking wisdom on the making of good, healthy friendships. There's nothing I've longed for more than a couple close friends who know me absolutely and in whose friendship I am confident. I've read and reviewed books of every related topic possible. So, I was very excited when a friend brought the Christian title Heart Sisters, by Natalie Chambers Snapp, to my attention.

Snapp's term Heart Sisters is defined as "the women you want to be around during your own major milestones. They will hold you up when you’re falling but will also rejoice with you when there’s rejoicing to be done." Looking at the Table of Contents alone presents Snapp's book as one that will discuss the hardest things about being a friend and how to handle them in the best way possible. She tackles topics such as:

Handling conflict
Setting boundaries
Digital Etiquette
What Heart Sisters do and don't do

Seems intense, maybe. But think of all the issues and regrets that have popped up in friendships. Plus, Snapp isn't talking about just any friendship, she's talking about the closest of friends. We all have circles of friends, who vary in closeness. Snapp's book refers to that small, intimate grouping of women who "we need to share in our laughter. Sometimes we need a good cry with a sister by our side. Other times, we need her to carry us because we simply don’t think we can put one foot in front of the other on our own. We need Heart Sisters" (emphasis mine).

This is among the best books on friendship I've read, as the advice is applicable to forming all kinds of friendships. I've always dreamed of having close friends, but comparing real life to the movie versions, doubted it was possible. Heart Sisters not only shows close friendship is possible, but gives the healthy, realistic parameters in which to form them. 

8 comments:

  1. Solid female friendships has always been a struggle in my own life. I have a few really great ones right now but I'm also grappling with perhaps the end of other long term friendships. The healthy thing would probably be to let them go but breaking up with friends is SO HARD. I should maybe read more about friendship. I never thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting go is the hard part for sure! You can read on specific topics too. Like, I had a real problem saying no...I said yes to everyone. So one of the first books I read last summer or so was on setting boundaries for myself to follow, saying no when I needed too.

      Delete
  2. I NEED this book! I also have been struglling to have healthy frienships. Than you for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting read. I particularly need to work on making time for friends and keeping in touch with people after I move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, moving would be really hard to work with, I can imagine.

      Delete
  4. This sounds wonderful. I have four sisters and we are good friends even though they live in another state.

    Love the topics that are covered. Thanks for making us aware of this book.

    ENJOY your evening.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved August Edition. I am in the list as #34 through #36.


    Happy Reading!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping to take a look! I am making my way through the list for August!

      Delete