Sunday, July 19, 2015

Hyperbole and a Half...and Erin

Instead of the usual Sunday Sentence quote I do on Sundays, I have a special review today. A year ago I received a special copy of Allie Brosh's book Hyperbole and a Half. The short of it, Brosh started out with a blog, became wildly popular, and started publishing her posts into a book. From what I've read, there's a second book in the works. Brosh's drawings take on a kid-like look and tell stories, her life stories, from child to adulthood. They can be read in sections, so it makes it easy to put down and pick up as needed. Also, just as easy to read straight through in one day! Funny - yes. I totally recommend her blog and book, both by the same name.

But, what's so special about my copy? Its previous owner was my student Erin, who passed away July 19, 2014, just a month after graduating high school. In the memorial post I wrote last year (which shows who Erin was a bit better), I mentioned the last book she ever recommended to me, and probably among the last she ever read, was Hyperbole and a Half. She wanted me to read a specific story from it, which I did before she came back for her book right before graduation.

Just over a month later, the day of her funeral, Erin's parents gave me her copy of Hyperbole and a Half. I can't begin to explain the tumult of emotion. What extreme thoughtfulness at such a horrible time and how much and how deeply it touched my heart that they would think of me and understand what their daughter had meant to me. As a teacher, you typically expect not to see most students again, but it's mitigated by the fact that you know they are out there somewhere and that hopefully you are a forever piece of who they are, no matter how small. Erin was one of those special people who turned this around - she is forever a piece of who I am. I proudly keep this book nearby to recall her smile and energy. Her senior picture sits in the pencil carousel on my school desk, a daily reminder to reach out and make the most of my time with students while I'm blessed with the opportunity.

As for the book? I kept it at my bedside the entire past year, waiting for this July to roll around so I could read it in her memory. I loved it. The truly great part about THIS book being my last memory with Erin is that her personality is all through it. It speaks to her contagious spirit, humor, wit, laughter, and energy. Her love for making life simple and fun.



8 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and powerful post, Jennine.I love Hyperbole and a Half and smile to think of a student sharing it with you but am saddened to think of it coming back to you under such sorrow-filled circumstances. Obviously, you held a special place in Erin's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory to have - this was a very lovely post to read. It's so nice to read about personal connections to books, even though, in this case, it's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proof of the power of books to unite, huh? Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Such a great post. It's such a heartbreak to lose a student...especially one who leaves an indelible impression on our heart. You've moved me to read this book myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a great book for laughing, which made it better to read in the circumstances.

      Delete
  4. What a poignant post, and Erin's picture gave me goosebumps.

    I've not read Hyperbole - but I remember the kooky cuteness of the character Brosh drew and how it stuck with me from the first time I ever saw it.

    This honors Erin's memory, and I'm sure it gives you peace to think back on her and remember all she meant to you. XO

    ReplyDelete