Thursday, August 13, 2015

I'm still here...

So, the course of my summer and chances to read should be evident in the number and type of posts I've made each month since June. Some of the lack of reading was intentional because, as I'd posted before, there were a lot of things going on with those around me and I wanted to be a part of it. On the other hand, it was a weird summer, period. Reading opportunities are not going to get better any time soon, as school starts for me next week and students come the week after. I've been reading this month, but it has been books I need to start my school year and such.

But...this gives me a chance to use this post to put a few things out there. Sometime between August and September, I will be taking my blog self-hosted! A scary move for me, but I have a most trusted friend who does this for a living and I trust her capabilities.





Also, I am hoping to continue with Student Spotlight again this year, where my students will be posting their work to my blog. I am looking forward to doing this better this year and incorporating it into my class more.





And last, but not least, I have a couple pics of my kids I took last month. We were waiting in the car for my oldest to finish her piano lesson and it seemed really quiet. I turned around in my seat to see both of my kids huddled down, reading. Enough to make this bibliophile split into a grin and even feel emotional. Haha, I'm a mess right now people. A mess.

But, as one of my favorite American greats once wrote, "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”

12 comments:

  1. Did your heart just burst when you spied your kiddos reading?! Very cool.

    Hope that the first week of school goes well for you...seems this time of year is full of transitions. I've always liked the fall but I can see now how much trickier it will be with children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it did! Yea, getting that school year going is a little bit of craziness. Supply shopping, some need shoes, some clothes, a book bag here and a winter coat there. Plus all of the paperwork that starts the year - I get it at home and at work! It just needs to be October real quick ;)

      Delete
  2. Self-hosted! Whoa! That's BIG. I will be watching the progress! Please tell us how it went!

    Good job on the reading kiddos! I love how into their books they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little scared! But my friend made it seem like no big deal...I mean it's what she does for a living and she was all for it, so I'll try it! If I remember correctly, my daughter was reading a Harry Potter book and my son a book on a famous president (he's the nonfiction lover of the group).

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain--back in my classroom working and setting up. The reading bonanza will soon be over until I get my bearings on the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, yay, kids reading! I love that. Good luck with your blog move -- I hope everything goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennine, you should move to Spain. Here the academic course for secondary school ends in June 20 and starts in September 15, so... Nothing else to say ;)
    Your kids reading in the car are adorable!
    Good luck with your self-hosting, we trust your friend ;)
    And you know that I like "Student spotlight" posts a lot, so I'm looking forward to reading their assignments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isi! You know how much I appreciate the comments on Student Spotlight. The kids enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. I backed up to this one... wow, self-hosted. I might need to pick your brain on that in the future. Just by the name, I'm assuming it means you prepare material and it's scheduled in advance?

    Anyway, love the pics of the kids reading. My two - Justin only reads his i-Phone, and the paper. (which is fine) Brooke - just like me - DEVOURS books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, reading is reading! Self hosted means I'll be purchasing my own site, I won't be a Blogger site any more. I have a friend who does websites for a living, so she's going to fit me into her schedule and set it up! It's a yearly cost, but I figure it will give me some options for the future.

      Delete