Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I'll Give You the Sun

Source: Amazon.com

Although I'd heard people's positive opinions of I'll Give You the Sun, by Jandy Nelson, I didn't pay very close attention, as sometimes happens when I'm on new book overload. At the end of this school year, a student randomly stopped me in the hall and said, "You HAVE to read I'll Give You the Sun."

Then, mid-June, I received an email from a co-worker saying it was such a good book. And a teacher friend from another district chimed in, agreeing. With all of that encouragement, how could I not drop all else and read it? Found it on library ebook, through the Overdrive app (gotta love it), and took off.

The story is told by a set of girl/boy twins, Jude and Noah, at different times. Noah tells his parts of the story in the past, when they are approximately 13, while Jude's narration happens in the present, age 16. I got really wrapped up in each set of narration, especially as tragedy presented itself in Jude's narration, but you had to get back to Noah's past narration to see what, why, and how it happened. I would find myself reading one section and thinking, this is a whole story in itself, what else could be coming? I think this method of narration drew me in and made me want to continue reading.

The story itself focuses on the twins. Their closeness almost seems to draw them apart as they get older. When jealousy and tragedy strikes the twins' lives, actions are taken and personalities shift. Overall, I really liked this story because it kept my attention, I cared about the characters, and I wanted to know the outcome. I definitely throw my positive opinion in with all others!

2 comments:

  1. Well, if one of your students tells you to read it, it must mean something.
    I didn't know it, but sounds like a story I would enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the student is a major reader and was so adamant, I couldn't pass it up.

      Delete