Tuesday, June 23, 2015

California

Source: Amazon.com
California, by Edan Lepucki
Publisher: Little, Brown and Comapny
Publication date: July 8, 2014
Category: Literature/Fiction
Source: I received this galley from the publisher via NetGalley for consideration of review.

Last fall I got my hands on a galley of California, by Edan Lepucki. Please note, it was months after the release date, so although this book has been out almost an entire year, I didn't necessarily slack on my review timing! 

So why did I want to read this one? Post apocalyptic. I read many good things about it, but all it took was a statement about post apocalyptic living and I was sure to try it. The story centers around a couple, Frida and Cal, who are living in the woods of an unknown place. When I say living, I guess it's more like surviving. They have to hunt, grow, make most everything they need. Their location is unknown because it seems the nation has deteriorated enough that states and cities no longer carry their names, although Frida and Cal are from California.

The story held my attention the entire time. Parts of it are told in flashback, so I read on, interested in what exactly went down, where other people were, and then how Frida and Cal we're going to make it once they moved on from their new home. Snippets of back story from Frida and Cal's normal lives, pre-apocalypse, give an idea of how the world began to fall part, what it has become, and how it functions now.

As the story moved to a close, I felt myself waiting for some big revelation about why they ended up where they were and how they were going to change everything, etc. I won't give any spoilers, but have to say the ending was disappointing for me. I understand it and can even see why it ended the way it did, but I didn't like it. It's one of those endings where people will go back and forth about why it is or isn't good, which is good in itself because it means the writer created discussion. If you like apocalypse books, it's worth a try.

How do you feel about "those" types of endings?

8 comments:

  1. Sorry it was a bit disappointing for you. I hate when books have so much build up, but no satisfying outcome! I've also heard great things about this and wanted to read it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard people make great points about similar endings of other books, but I guess I just like my endings more detailed or full.

      Delete
  2. Do you know what the "public dispute" was regarding this book between Colbert and Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't know there had been a dispute. What was it?

      Delete
  3. I agree about the ending- I found it very disappointing. For post-apocalyptic I liked Station Eleven much better. It was released last summer as well but California got all the press because of the dispute between Amazon and the publisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the ending just...stopped. And it didn't seem very in character for Frida either. That's a shame, cause I hear rave reviews for Station Eleven. Will definitely read it.

      Delete
  4. I think I'll probably pass on this one, because I've heard a number of people say they were disappointed with the ending. For a little while, I was burnt out on post-apocalyptic stories since I'd picked up a ton of YA books that jumped on the trend, but it's getting to be phrase that makes me want to pick up a book again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of post apocalyptic I've read, most usually have decent endings, so I'm usually willing to pick one up and try it. Hope you find the good ones!

      Delete