Sunday, June 7, 2015

Begin the Week with Words

Haven't quite finished reading California, but this line hit me as meaningful. And it strikes me that we do an awful lot of thinking to the past. And if we aren't thinking in the past, we're looking ahead. I think we need to dwell on the present more...just a thought.

"Time moved forward, but the mind was restless and stubborn, and it skipped to wherever it pleased, often to the past: backward, always backward." California, by Edan Lepucki


As I thought about this, I recalled the last line of The Great Gatsby (below). Wow, same thought, so many generations apart. We humans really don't change.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

5 comments:

  1. Great comparision between these two quotes. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I love when good literature lines up with others and life.

      Delete
  2. I love those quotes about time and so true. To live in the present is an art. Those quotes are similar to a quote from a book I recently read: "We are all poisoned by the past and spend our days searching the future for an antidote." Beyond the Trees
    James

    ReplyDelete