Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Personal Thanksgiving Read-a-thon (aka Vacation)

My husband, kids, and I on the beach.
I'm a homebody. The person who likes vacation time, but is just as happy spending it at home. There's a word for it now...staycation. It's about time! I mean, I can read anywhere, so I might as well read in the convenience of my family and home, right? There's more to it than that I'm sure, and I don't know why, but it's just the way I am. Homebody for life.

But when the holidays roll around, I can't help but notice people traveling...usually visiting family or going to a beach. Only once have I ever spent a holiday away from home. In high school my band marched in the Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade - we were even on National TV! Besides that, I've NEVER spent a major holiday away from home, but I've always been curious. What would it feel like to take a trip mid year? (We're talking teacher year here people, August to July.)




Well, my question was answered this Thanksgiving, as my parents, siblings, husband, kids, and I (and even our dogs) made a trip to Avon, North Carolina, a town within OBX, for the Thanksgiving week. We stayed in a beautiful beach front beach house that was plenty big for our family. The purpose: a most relaxing trip, just to spend time with family and be thankful for some really big things my family came through this year. Of course, this also meant reading for me. I took the last of my TBR Challenge books, thinking realistically maybe I'd get to two - Memoirs of a Geisha and The Memory Keeper's Daughter.






To die for book nook all on its own at the top of the stairs.
As luck would have it, our beach house came with its own personal reading nook. At the very top of a fourth flight of stairs sits this one little space with two chairs and chandelier displaying windows that overlook the neighborhood. On a beautiful day with the windows open or a cold day wrapped in a fleece blanket (I experienced both), that reading nook was a dream come true! I napped there daily too! My little dog was by my side every single minute! She loved it as much as I did.






Samoa, my cuddly bookworm buddy.






As usually happens, I didn't read as much as I thought I would. Vacations typically consist of a fair amount of down time, but we spent it eating, playing cards, napping, watching Thanksgiving specials, shopping, walking the beach, and playing with the dogs. The dogs were quite entertaining...my little dachshund didn't want to be near any other dog or person except for me, and routinely barked and growled at my siblings' dogs, which was quite unexpected. She's usually so friendly and knows all of my family well. (Meanwhile, my typically high maintenance dog, Chloe, was at my in-laws being an angel. Go figure.)

When I did read, it was Memoirs of a Geisha. Although I didn't finish it, I definitely had enough time to get myself invested in the story and hungry to finish it! My TBR Pile Challenge 2014 is going to be a close call, if I make it!







Oh and of course, I bought a book on my trip. I picked up a secondhand copy of Case Histories by Kate Atkinson at an Indie bookstore called Buxton Village Books in the next town over. It was one of my first experiences with locally owned booksellers. The secondhand section was full of big names and titles, so selection was not a problem.There were so many books to look through, I figured I'd go with an author I'd read and liked before.  My daughter picked up a handmade wool hat and my husband bought a beautiful nautical journal for our son. It was a cozy little place with some unique gifts.








Any lovely ways in which you've spent favorite holidays?

22 comments:

  1. Yay, so glad you made it to beautiful NC for the holidays! I like being home for the holidays too or within driving distance (not more than 3 hours). Last time we traveled during a holiday was when our friends got married in California over Thanksgiving. We do go to Florida after Christmas for the New Year sometimes and that is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida is great too! We went to Destin two summers ago and loved it. If we go again, I will have to get up the nerve (and $) to fly, cause that is one heck of a killer drive from Ohio!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a perfect getaway! I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could've stayed curled in that book nook another week for sure.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a fantastic vacation! The house looks beautiful, and what a view! Perfect for reading and spending time with family. Glad the pups got to go too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I glad I took my little dog at the last minute! She's my cuddle buddy, couldn't read without her!

      Delete
  4. What a great vacation, beautiful house!! Love that book nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book nook was my favorite part. My mom had a fleece blanket sitting up there waiting upon my arrival. Lol!

      Delete
  5. This getaway looks positively HEAVENLY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would like to go back in warmer weather too, for sure.

      Delete
  6. I echo Andi - this sounds like heaven. That book nook! Something to aspire to. I want to see what you think of Case Histories. I keep swearing off Kate Atkinson and then I always think maybe she needs one more chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read Life After Life, which I liked. But you'll know when I read this one, cause I'll make sure to review it!

      Delete
  7. The only Thanksgiving, and eventually Christmas, I spent away from home was when I lived in Johannesburg, South Africa for a year. I was twenty and missed my mom and dad terribly. It was summer there (very warm) and being a New Englander it just wasn't the same.
    This time of year is a special time to hold family close, no matter where you are, as long as you are together.
    I love your little mini-D. We have one too, Hitch. He's very quick witted and loud, he keeps our old boy Harley, (Lab and Golden cross), as lively as an old boy can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The whole family was there and it was like it would've been back home. How old is Hitch? I love mini dachshunds...my favorite dog!

      Delete
  8. The outer banks are beautiful any time of year. The house looked awesome and I'm glad you enjoyed that little spot of heaven in NC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was surprised how nice the beach was even in jeans and a jacket weather!

      Delete
  9. That sounds amazing. And that reading nook? To die for. I probably would have parked my butt in that chair and not left for the week. I spend most of my holidays at my parents house -- since I live out of town, I end up traveling there even though it doesn't really feel much like traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's probably relaxing! Travel that doesn't feel like travel would be my kind of travel!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely reading spot. I would get distracted and want to look out the window though! I actually love to spend the holidays at home. Traveling in winter is too difficult, and by the time the rush is over I just want to relax. But if someone else would make all the arrangements (and make sure there were no weather delays) I would be happy to go to the beach some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did end up looking out the window an awful lot! And I got lucky with this trip...my mom made all arrangements. We just had to show up!

      Delete
  11. I'm a total homebody too, but wow, does this look like it was a wonderful trip! That reading nook... I really don't have words. So glad you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The key would be to have that reading spot in my house! A girl can dream...

      Delete