Sunday, December 7, 2014

Begin the Week with Words

Spent Thanksgiving in North Carolina this year and had a Gatsby moment. Having read The Great Gatsby so many times, teaching and discussing it over so many years, I get excited to see the connections to real life.

The top floor of our beach house was nothing but a little reading nook with big windows. The whole house, and every other house on the street, was nothing but big windows on the top floors (living room and kitchen). And as I sat looking out and practically into the windows of neighboring houses, listening to the conversation and games of my family in my own house, I felt what Nick Carraway explained during the crazy party in Myrtle's New York City apartment:

"Yet high over the city our line of yellow windows must have contributed their share of human secrecy to the casual watcher in the darkening streets, and I was him too, looking up and wondering. I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life."
                                                 Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby


Yea, I totally took a picture of the neighbor's house.
 I made sure no one was in the windows first! It was
truly crazy how well you could see into other houses!



4 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about those lines. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed this piece mainly when the new movie version came out. They show Nick up in the party looking down at himself in the street, who is looking up and I couldn't help but think my students were going to be so confused by that.

      Delete
  2. What a book! Nice you pulled out this quote in particular as I think 'inexhaustible variety of life' is a timeless phrase that can apply to just about everything.
    I work in London for a magazine publishing company and write The Signorina. I've written my select but personal recommendations for Christmas!
    http://thesignorina.com/2014/12/13/5-must-read-books-for-this-christmas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love looking at any listing of books!

      Delete