Friday, December 26, 2014

Memoirs of a Geisha

Source: wiki.org
Memoirs of a Geisha is the last of my 2014 TBR Pile Challenge I will get to read, leaving me short by three books. I may go ahead and read Matched in time, also on my list, but that still leaves me with The Memory Keeper's Daughter and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, which is a chunkster at 600 pages, so I doubt I'll get through it during a busy holiday week. At least I came close...and I'll be trying more TBR reading of my own for 2015.

What a book to end the challenge on though! Once again, a book on Asian culture taught me so much I didn't know or that I misunderstood. Memoirs of a Geisha is fiction, but author Aurthur Golden thoroughly researched the facts by visiting Japan and spending time with a woman who lived as a Geisha in the 1960s and 70s.

I found myself struggling between thinking Geishas were kind of like slaves and yet, maybe it wasn't so bad? The women were professional entertainers in many forms: music, dance, song, conversation. But it seemed they often ended up as Geisha for sad/forced reasons and there were such expectations required of them, I found myself shaking my head as I read. This is all the case of the main character, Chiyo/Sayuri. Yet, without the option, where would many of them end up? Starving on the street or as prostitutes. Definitely a list of pros and cons, depending on which part of the process Sayuri was going through.

The book was enthralling, but I didn't realize how much I was pulling for Sayuri until closer to the end. She makes a bold move to change her life and when it didn't work out quite as she intended my heart sank. With the book so close to the end at that point, I hurriedly finished to see what happened to dear Sayuri.

I highly recommend this oldie, but goodie. Especially if you like to learn about different cultures and time periods.

Anyone see the movie? I was told it doesn't measure up...

10 comments:

  1. I read this book a long time ago (when it first came out) and I remember having the same struggle about whether this was a choice or that they were slaves. I haven’t seen the movie because I liked the book so much, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one thinking like that. I kinda felt bad thinking that way.

      Delete
  2. I remember the movie. Does it do the book any justice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie yet. I have it coming up on my Netflix. I was told by a friend not to watch the movie until I'd read the book because she doesn't think it does the book justice.

      Delete
  3. I read this one several years ago and loved it. I also enjoyed the movie for the gorgeous costuming and cinematography, though it didn't really do the book justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be worth watching then...to get a real idea of the descriptions and setting.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this for all the reasons you mentioned. It's always enjoyable to learn about another culture and while in a way, it seems like it would be amazing to become so skilled, it doesn't seem like the life of geisha is something most women chose for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one stuck between two feelings on the situation of a geisha.

      Delete
  5. I read this book this year too long after all the hype died down, and I was pleasantly surprised by the detail and the in-depth glimpse into geisha life. I felt a little let down by the story though, it seemed to end a bit too fairy-taleish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did end rather happily compared to where it looked like it was going. I can only think it's because the guy had spent soooo many years involved and caring that it would take a whole lot to push him away. (That's how I justified it anyway!)

      Delete