Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Student Spotlight: Donald R.

Hi! Welcome to Student Spotlight on My Life in Books. Today's featured student writer is Donald R. He is an 11th grader and his class read Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck, earlier this year. In the novel, many characters have big hopes and dreams for the future, although none of them reach their goals. Although there are extenuating circumstances for Steinbeck's characters, the Impossibility of the American Dream is one of the themes of the novel. Based on this theme, students were asked to describe and plan steps toward a possible hope or dream(s) they have for their own future. The best laid plans of mice and men may often go awry, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I am very proud of Donald for taking this essay seriously and choosing such a thoughtful topic. Welcome Donald!


My Dream to Lose Weight

             My dream is to lose weight. The main reason I want to lose weight and gain some muscle is because it’s been along time since I’ve been at a standard or better weight. Another reason is because there’s many things I’ve wanted or want to do but my weight has been slowing me down. If I were to become healthy and lose weight, I could become more active in my life.

The way I plan to lose weight is by doing regular exercises like push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, and walking daily, but pacing the exercises. I don’t want to hurt or pull a muscle, which could make me have to take time off from exercises. Another way is by having a steady diet and not eating so much junk food. Also by eating at regular times, instead of eating at anytime, so my digestive system can settle better and faster. Another way is by getting more motivated to do exercise. I’m going to listen to music that can help me focus more and block out any stress related situations.

The reason why I’ve always wanted to be healthy and in good shape is because it will help me accomplish what I’ve always wanted to do. And also because I can do more active things and better myself. The whole reason why I want to lose weight is because I’ve always hated looking at myself being fat and having dreams of being fit and healthy. And mostly, I’ve hated looking at myself in the mirror and all I see is fat and not seeing the fit side of me.

The way that being healthy and gaining muscle will help me in the future and how it would change my life is that I would be able to do more fun things and work easier. I would be able to do more outdoor activities with friends, family, or just by myself. Also another reason is I would be able to find a good job where I can be active and get paid at the same time. Finally, I wouldn’t always have to be indoors all the time and feel embarrassed. I would be able to prove to my family, friends, and those who have always made fun of me that I can lose weight and be the healthier person I want to be.  

8 comments:

  1. Hi Donald!
    Loosing weight and being healthy are not the same thing, and I think the latter will lead you to the first. In my opinion all you need is patience and willpower. I think you have explained very well the steps you have to take in order to achieve that goal and the benefits that will come later.
    I'm glad to see that the book your teacher assigned makes other people work to reach their dreams. I have to read it too; now I'm curious about the characters' dreams.

    PS. Regarding this issue about health, I started to run some moths ago and at the beginning I couldn't run for more than ten minutes, but now I can do it for an hour, so don't give up - everything will come in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dream, Donald! You can do it, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you want to lose weight to be able to achieve your dreams of being healthy and active. Maintaining a healthy body weight for your height and age is vital in looking and feeling great. Best of luck in achieving your dream, stick with it, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Donald,

    From reading your essay, it's easy to see how much this goal of losing weight, and being healthy means to you, and I applaud you for wanting to tackle your weight and for wanting to become a healthier person. I know from personal experience that everyone has to start from somewhere. Your approach to go easy at first is the right way. I agree, you don't want to injure yourself because there is nothing more de-motivating than an injury. Take it slow, build up, and I promise you, exercising will become a habit, and the more fit you become, the more healthy you'll want to eat, too. (I can't explain that part, but it works like that for a lot of people)

    Good luck! Maybe you can check back in with us and let us know how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a honest essay, and a great aspiration - being fit and healthy is something we should all aspire to. I also think the way you've laid out the plans for your dream is inspiring. Good luck, Donald - you can do it!

    P.S. Jennine, I think the assignment you created from the book, Of Mice and Men, is a wonderful one. I think a few of the kids in your class would have thought long and hard about it!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loosing weight and changing your lifestyle is not easy but it is clear you got a vision. Good luck Donald with working to reach your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great essay, Donald! You really have a plan that when put into motion will allow you to succeed. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all of your encouragement everyone! Your comments have been very encouraging and Donald says thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete