Friday, November 7, 2014

#BookishThanks November 1-7

#BookishThanks November 1-7

I am participating in a most wonderful bookish Thanksgiving meme, #BookishThanks, put together by Monika at A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall. A category is given for every day in November, to which you can apply the book of your choice, posting it on your social media. It has been so much fun, I figured I'd post them on my blog weekly! Feel free to leave your choices for any categories in the comments.


1. Made me laugh - Let's Pretend This Never Happened, by Jenny Lawson




2. Scared me silly - The Road, by Cormac McCarthy




3. Couldn't put it down - The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, by Claire North.




4. Love the cover - Gutenberg's Apprentice, by Alix Christie




5. Must share with others - The Storyteller, by Jodi Picoult




6. Comfort read - formulaic writers like Grisham and Picoult




7. Makes me love paper - Any Chunkster (500+ pages)


7 comments:

  1. You're right that the formulaic reads are comforting. I have only read a couple Picoult and Grisham. I have yet to read Let's Pretend this never Happened but my friend and I were dying laughing browsing it in the bookstore. Great list, my first week wrap up us scheduled for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see it! While reading Let's Pretend, I kept stopping and reading sections to my husband. It was funny!

      Delete
  2. I love this! The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August has been on my list for a while and then kind of dropped off my radar. Maybe time to go on the hunt again. Not that I don't have stacks and stacks of books at home that need reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know! To me it was like a more detailed and precise version of Life After Life. They use the same premise - main character is reborn after every death. Starts in the same place, but can make choices to move through life differently.

      Delete
  3. I've been keeping up with these on Twitter but still visited the post too :-P

    Jodi Picoult is an author I turn to for comfort reading too. Just curious, have you read any of Diane Chamberlain's novels? The two are always compared. I read a couple of her books this year.

    The Storyteller is definitely a must share book.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Lol, I think I've slipped up and forgotten to post yesterday's...it was a busy day! I don't think I've read any Diane Chamberlain. Is there one you'd recommend?

      Delete
    2. I've read Breaking the Silence, The Midwife's Confession and Summer's Child all this year - one more Diane Chamberlain novel awaits me on my unread shelf. Of the three I've read I think The Midwife's Confession was my favourite.
      :-)

      Delete