Friday, October 5, 2012

Such as we are made of, such we be


 

Last Sunday morning our pastor, who is also a good friend of ours, made the statement "Get over yourself." He was referencing having to face taking and giving correction, but it recalled to me what it takes to write. (And I'm sure he's thrilled my mind seized on one phrase and ran to a totally different subject with it ;)

 When I started this blog I sent the link out to a select group of FB friends and didn't share my posts to FB. I was hiding even as I took steps to move forward. What if I couldn't think of worthwhile topics? What if people didn't like what I had to say, or even worse, were indifferent?! Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we might win by fearing to attempt. It is time we hate that which we often fear.

As I started to write on topics on which I wanted people's input, I decided to share all new posts to FB (and Twitter). After all, either I considered myself a writer or I didn't. Either I wanted to form a writing community or I didn't. I had to get over myself and the winter of my discontent in order to pursue my passion.

In You Are a Writer, Jeff Goins says, "The more I love what I do, the more others do, too. This is the paradox: when you stop writing for readers' affections, your work will affect more people." Ironic, but logical. The subtle shift in focus makes all the difference. Boldness be my friend!

And I've found myself wanting to veer off of the course of directly "talking shop" (aka writing). I tell myself, "Wise and slow. They stumble that run fast." But maybe that's okay because if all the world's a stage, then all of life presents me with writing opportunities. The earth has music for those who listen.

So I write for an audience of one - me. The goal: Pursue my passion. To say what I need to say, in the best possible way to say it. Not just to speak but to speak true. To know what I am and to find what I may be. This above all else: to my own self be true, so that to others I will not be false.

How has life served your art? Or how has art served your life? You can probably take a good guess at how art and life intertwine for me.

11 comments:

  1. Words are the art that have served my life...I'll give you one guess who my favorite person is to quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I know that's 2 guesses, but I also have to say that this post is really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You win! Your first guess was it - Shakespeare. And if its good, I have to share credit with Willy Shakes, cause about 11 of the phrases throughout the post are his!

      Delete
    2. Make that 12...the title is Shakespeare's too.

      Delete
    3. This is why I am such a bad test taker...i always second-guess myself

      Delete
  3. Jeannine, what a beautiful post--and so true. It actually ties in very well to a blog post I want to write this weekend about the importance of believing in yourself and stepping into your life as a writer--do you mind if I put a link to this post in it?
    Best,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely post. I used to have "To thine own self be true" on my license plate frame; you've given me some options for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me there are no quotes quite like Shakespeare's. They are abundant and fit so many universal themes...still very relevant hundreds of years later.

      Delete