Saturday, September 29, 2012

Reading Warriors Need Your Help

Art work done by my amazing artist friend, Jeff Crowther.
You can find his blog comic "Yeti 4 Hire" linked to the right.

     First meeting for my new book club today. I put some ideas out for the students to mull over until next meeting. Next week we will advertise the club at an activities meeting held for the whole school. So, it falls to me to put together an alluring tri-fold. I am not an elementary teacher for a reason...I can barely handle the bulletin boards I have, let alone pull people in with some glitter and bubble letters?! I'll think of something, I always do, but in the meantime, I'm open to suggestions. (Were there too many commas in that last sentence...I really need to go to bed.) I'll be working on it all weekend...my deadline is Tuesday night. (I've definitely used too many ellipses...I'm not fit to run this club!)

     So, if you have any creative, artsy ideas as far as decorating a tri-fold poster board, let me know! I have tons of random craft things from my girls' years in elementary school. I am going to use the art work above, as it was specially designed for my book club - hats off to you Jeff Crowther. Also, the students want a catch phrase/slogan. So, open to ideas there too! They want something that has literary merit: alliteration, allusion, pun, etc., anything that is catchy and can be book/reading/Warrior related (Warriors being our school's mascot).

So, put your thinking caps on boys and girls and send some ideas my way!

4 comments:

  1. Rats, I'm absolutely awful at stuff like this. I will put on my thinking cap but there's not a lot of creative brainpower to work with. Love that you're starting a book club, though. You'll get to hang with the cool kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel really lame, but I'm no good with this kind of stuff either. And the book club is in two parts. I meet with grades 7-8 every other Wednesday and grades 9-12 every other Friday. That way I can have everyone reading something on their level. We are going to study one genre a month...that's what they've decided so far anyway. Definitely the cool kids! (Wait, does that make me the cool teacher? Lol)

      Delete
  2. Love the picture. It'd be great if you could somehow transform the poster board into a book but I realize there's an extra side to contend with. Maybe you could start with it closed, like a book and then open it to reveal all the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a cool idea! I could probably take off the one small side and attach it to the other side so it would be more even looking and open as a book.

      Delete