Sunday, September 23, 2012

Claim It!

My first e-reader experience has been a good one I must say. Amazon read my iPad and in seconds I had my new book: "You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)," by Jeff Goins. What I enjoy about reading an instructional book on my Kindle app is the highlighting. Very cool.

And this book has been one snippet of good advice after another for a beginning writer. I've considered myself a writer all my life. I've always written poetry and short stories, although the older I got, the less I shared with others. Two summers ago when I was going through a rough time I randomly shared a new poem with a friend and then apologized! I had become that reserved about sharing my writing. "Writer" was my somewhat secret identity...so much so that I just referred to myself as a beginning writer in this paragraph!

Goins points out that, "All of this - this business of becoming a writer - starts not with the hands, but with the head." Essentially you have to "turn pro" in your head before you can do it on paper (Pressfield, "The War of Art"). I question how simple that is, but so did Goins. After reading "The War of Art" Goins interviewed author Steven Pressfield to get the real scoop on what it takes to be a writer.

Turns out being a writer is not related to agents and book deals, etc. Pressfield said you are a writer "when you say you are." It was wonderful to hear this. This is the idea the writers of the blogs I follow espouse and I admire their take on it. I opened this blog, a new email, and Twitter account to put myself out there as a writer. Turns out I was on the right track. Say it to believe it.

I am a writer.

What did it take to make you believe in yourself or your dream?

12 comments:

  1. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So evident that you are totally starting to own this
    ...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roshni! I have great encouraging friends :)

      Delete
  3. It took someone else believing in me. Your way is much better, Jennine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at some point you need the belief of others too. When the craft gets tough - and that seems to happen soon and often - you need that support system to push you along.

      Delete
  4. It took my first byline.
    It was that little weekly paper which made me think, hey maybe I am a writer. Two weeks later I had two op-eds, different subjects, on the same day, in the state's two biggest daily newspapers.
    I was the most famous person I knew.
    I still am. That's how boring my life is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But that's so cool! I really should find some publications to try writing for. I think the process intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The process is really quite easy.
      You're a teacher so writing about what you do will immediately get attention. I remember one of your posts about a reading or writing club you wanted to start at school. Write about that, submit to a local weekly. Keep it short, personal with a general tone so many readers can identify. Figure which editor, check the paper's masthead, lead with a short cover letter and go. What you write here certainly shows you can do it.
      Two pieces of advice.
      First piece of advice...Take a different angle on what's timely and you're in.
      Second piece of advice...don't take advice from anybody. Do it your way.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I'll try it...that's great advice too.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, how do I love this post.
    The other day a woman asked me if I was a professional photographer. I told her, no, I'm an artist.

    I felt elevated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! There is something to claiming it out loud. I have a student teacher in my classroom right now, she's only about five years younger than me, and she talks about herself as a writer like it's natural. At first I was caught off guard, but now I'm in awe of her confidence! I'm going to take a page from her book (ummm...yea, sad little pun, I know).

      Delete