Monday, October 8, 2012

The Result



Here it is...the poster I put together to advertise my high school book club, Reading Warriors. The slogan was written by one of the members: "We Read Books for Breakfast!" To emphasize its meaning I added a sort of subtitle underneath the larger slogan. It reads: "Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach; good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest." (It's a Proverb.)

The art work is our customized book and tomahawk from my previous post about Reading Warriors. (Mohawk Warriors is the name and mascot of our school, respectively). I blew it up as large as I could using Word. On either side is the basic information: my name, classroom number, and meeting times. I decided to do Friday meetings twice a month for grades 9-12 and one Wednesday meeting a month for grades 7-8. This way they can read books appropriate to their grade and discussion levels.

The border around the tri-fold consists of 71 different book covers - everything from sci-fi to fantasy to memoir to popular fiction. Filling in the rest of the center are eight quotes from famous/popular authors, followed by the author's name and his/her most well-known book pictured next to it. (Not all of the quotes came from the book I placed next to the quote...some are just things the author said. But, I wanted to connect a picture to the author.) I picked these authors to represent books/reading more specifically based on their longevity in the world of literature...I knew they had to have something to say about books/reading.

Here's what I found (top left, moving counter clockwise):

“Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself,
to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant and interesting.
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World



“To be a well-favored man is the gift of fortune, but to write or read comes by nature.”
William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
 Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn

“...I believe it important to emphasize how strongly I feel that books, just like people,
have a destiny. Some invite sorrow, others joy, some both.”
 Elie Wiesel, Night




“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road.
They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.”
Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life


"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe, Poetry

Fun fact (because I'm a nerd and couldn't help myself, I actually went back and counted after it was finished): There are 79 different books on the tri-fold. I own 59 of them and have read 49 of them. I had so much fun putting this together. I started at 9:30 PM on a Sunday night and went to bed around 1:30AM. I only meant to get it started, but once I got going, I didn't want to stop.

And boy was that one student excited to see I used his slogan as the main piece for our board. Nothing like watching a student grasp onto reading as the adventure it is. I'm expecting to see more of that this year! Go Warriors!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome, it's cool that they are taking ownership of it. Love the slogan, too. Them youngeruns are far more clever than I am now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it is. I just hope they can keep it up! The discussions will only be as good as the effort they put in!

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic. Your students are so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job.
    Golly Gee Ms. G I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school. My high school English teacher was the football coach, all we did was diagram sentences. I still don't know what participles, dangling or otherwise are. I don't even know if I spelled it right.
    You did awesome Jennine. I'll bet your enthusiasm is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I had a football coach English teacher too, so no need to explain! Lol, and I've never diagrammed a sentence in my life! That has to earn me points with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job Jennine!! Love when people are passionate about the things they love and enjoy! It's contagious... so I'm sure your students will catch the "passion" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. For awhile I used to tone it down cause I figured they'd just think it was silly. But, I've heard so many people say that the one thing they remember about their teachers are the ones who had an obvious love for what they did and/or their subjects. So now I just let them see how obsessed I am with my subject material! And I enjoy it more myself that way too.

      Delete