Friday, May 8, 2015

Legacy: A 30 Authors Anthology


Last September Allison of The Book Wheel ran an amazing 30 day event of authors reviewing a favorite book on various blogs, called 30 Authors in 30 Days. It was quite an undertaking and for quite awhile #30Authors (as it became more commonly known) was thee hashtag for quite a few of us. Well, 30 Authors is back. This time as an anthology of short stories written by previous authors of 30 Authors, as well as a few new names.

Legacy, as the anthology is titled, published April 17th by Velvet Morning Press. Velvet Morning Press is a boutique publishing house with the goal of discovering new authors and launching their careers. VMP publishes fiction in a variety of categories, short story anthologies, and special projects involving new and established authors. Please visit VelvetMorningPress.com to discover more great books, and sign up to find out about new releases at http://eepurl.com/7ht1z.

The anthology is titled Legacy because each short story, fiction or nonfiction, deals with a legacy of some sort. And, as with any set of short stories, I have my favorites. I figured a good review would give readers what I consider a few highlights of the collection.

"Four Days Forever" - J.J. Hensley
Wow - starts on present day and takes you back four days past, one day at a time. What you think you are reading on day four is not what you expect to find on day one.

"A Forever Home" - Regina Calcaterra
A very good informational piece about the trouble older foster children have finding adoptive homes and the consequences of "aging out" of the system, typically homelessness, incarceration, and/or public assistance survival. It brings awareness to a fixable problem, if only people knew and responded.

"Gracie’s Gift" - Piper Punches
A grandmother harbors bitterness and pain from the death of her child, but in her old age must make the decision whether or not to relinquish her granddaughter to the very man responsible for her personal tragedy. A very touching story.

There is one story I did not mention - "Bound by Water" by Maureen Foley. I figured I'd save it for tomorrow for my interview with Foley! So remember to come back tomorrow for an author's view of legacy and writing! 

If you are interested in other opinions on Legacy and hearing from other author interviews, see the schedule linked here for all of the good stuff we have to offer!


14 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying this collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a short story collection in quite a while, so I enjoyed it too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    J.J. Hensley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours was one of my most favorite! I'm a complete sucker for a twist ending, but it is hard to write about without giving it away. Thanks for partaking in Legacy and #30Authors!

      Delete
  3. Jennine, Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adria for all the hard work Velvet Morning Press put into this! (And your story as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey I am starting a blog and I thought since I love to read, I might begin by just writing about a certain book, what book would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to pick some thing that is your "thing." A genre you enjoy or author you love.

      Delete
  5. I love the breakdown! And just so you know - the #30Authors hashtag is coming back - I'm already planning this year's and have some very exciting authors lined up! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see who you have involved!

      Delete
  6. The ones you mentioned were some of my favorites too! I'm excited to go check out your interview :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great set of short stories - I haven't read any for so long, glad to hear others agree with my picks ;) Lol

      Delete