Monday, February 16, 2015

My Planet: Finding Humor in the Oddest Places

I only recently read my first Mary Roach book, Gulp. I loved it and started looking through her other books. I noticed that one titled My Planet: Finding Humor in the Oddest Places is actually a compilation of short funny articles she wrote for Reader's Digest. Easy, two page anecdotes sound perfect any time. And once again, Mary Roach delivers.

Most of the stories are about Roach and her husband Ed and I found myself laughing out loud often. Roach's signature humor comes through and I couldn't help but see my husband and myself in some of her stories. I actually noted certain favorites for my husband to read.

Maybe it's a matter of having been married awhile that allows me to relate to Roach's stories in this collection, but some of my favorites are reenacted at my house regularly. Curious which topics? I knew you were. Here are a few, in my own words.

1. To Do or Not To Do: List making wives and the husbands who ignore them.

2. Picture Imperfect: Paying for satellite for sole access to one channel. In my house it's NFL and ESPN. My husband will say no, he watches other channels too, but I guarantee he would not miss the others if satellite were to mysteriously disappear. But the world would stop spinning without NFL Channel and ESPN.

3. Is That What You're Wearing?: One spouse dressed nicely while the other tries to reassure them both that sweats are completely acceptable. To be fair, my husband and I take turns on this one.

4. Can You Hear Me Now?: Marital selective hearing. Yelling/talking to each other while in separate rooms. While running noisy appliances like a blender or hair dryer. While brushing teeth. While the other is completely absorbed in something else. And to further complicate matters, every couple has a mumbler. I'll let you guess who that is in my house.

Yes, this is all the wonderful goodness that goes on in my house. And, as Roach seems to imply for herself, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bring on my next Mary Roach book!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to keep a look out for some of her work - it sounds fun!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been enjoying everything of hers. I can't imagine any of her stuff being bad.

      Delete