Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Landline

Above: Brandon and I in 1998 after Matchbox 20 concert.
Below: In 2013, going to see the same band at the same arena!

I finally read a Rainbow Rowell book! (Pause for applause.)

Rowell has been one of those YA authors whose books have transcended the typical YA limits. Usually the mention of YA puts the book world in a tizzy, positively and negatively, but Rowell (like Ransom Riggs), seems to unify readers in a bubble of YA happiness. I liked YA usually to begin with, but it helps to know typical YA haters like Rowell's books.

Landline was indeed worth my time, though I felt a personal connection to the topic as well. Georgie McCool stays behind on a family holiday trip to see her in-laws in order to work on a career changing project. As her family drives away, she fears her marriage may be irreparable, but she isn't sure what to do. Later, trying to contact her husband Neal from her mother's landline, she discovers she is talking to the Neal she dated fifteen years ago. And so the book's premise lies in the question: What would you do if given a second chance at something? Hindsight is a powerful tool, but would you give up the good you've known to avoid the bad?

Start at the wedding picture to the left and follow around
to the center. Seventeen total years together in a few pics.
Having celebrated my fifteen year anniversary this past January (weirdly January 15, 2015 was my 15th anniversary), I've recently "looked back" to the people my husband and I were and who we've become individually and also as a couple. It's always a weird feeling and especially now as I feel we've hit a good number of years to look back upon.

Landline didn't hit me because Georgie McCool and I have endangered marriages in common, but simply because I wonder what I would do if I had the chance to act and speak differently to my young boyfriend/husband, knowing what I know now. What would I say and what would my motivation be for speaking? And would it change the future?

Either way, a good book is one that makes you think and entertains you at the same time. Looking forward to another Rainbow Rowell, which I already have waiting at my bedside.

What's your favorite Rowell book readers?


10 comments:

  1. I loved Landline! Rainbow Rowell is such an amazing writer - I'll pretty much read anything she puts out! Which book are you reading next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor and Park! And if I love it I'll have to debate taking it back to my classroom shelf or not! Lol

      Delete
  2. Landline is fantastic! I'm so glad you read and enjoyed it! My favorite RR is Eleanor and Park!!

    And Happy Anniversary, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor and Park is the book I have waiting. Can't wait to read it. And thanks!

      Delete
  3. I read Landline last month. It was my first book by Rowell. I loved it too. I can't wait to read Eleanor and Park sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, reading it too! And I've even heard good things about Fangirl and Attachments. Can't wait to read more Rowell!

      Delete
  4. I love this premise so much, it's a wonder I haven't read the book yet. I have it, of course, (story of my life). David and I are just going on one year of marriage, but we've known each other for 15. Ohhh, to be able to speak to those younger versions of ourself. What a thought. A little terrifying. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you will totally get this! READ IT ALREADY! No pressure :)

      Delete
  5. Landline was really good, I'm glad you read it and, crucially, enjoyed it! I think even if you don't have marriage troubles in common, it's a good reminder not to take each other for granted. Congrats on 15 years!

    And Fangirl is still my favourite Rowell book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will make sure I read ALL the Rowell!

      Delete