Monday, February 9, 2015

Gulp - My First Mary Roach

Source: maryroach.net

Mary Roach has been lauded by various types of readers in my life: the book lovers, the science teacher co-workers, the nonfiction readers, the casual readers, etc. Stiff was the original title that struck me...I mean, really, a book about the wonders of cadavers?! But, at the moment, I needed a convenient-to-carry book on my Kindle app and Gulp looked like the most interesting Roach book I had available. (I'm sure you'll be seeing Stiff on here soon enough.)

Gulp is about the alimentary canal, better known as the digestive system. From mouth to...errr...anus (rectum, butthole, poopshoot? Is there a good word to use for the bottom end?), Roach describes the workings of the entire system. Each organ involved is discussed and the medical views and discoveries over centuries laid out for examination.

And truly, there's a whole lot of examination. Roach takes part in various experiments and examinations, even getting an unsedated colonoscopy to see the inner workings of her own organs. The woman is either brave or crazy.

Truly, I never thought I'd want to read a book about the digestive system, but this one was interesting. I often found myself laughing, which prompted my husband or one of my kids to ask what I was laughing at. I'd start describing it, only to look up into widened eyes because the last thing they expected was an explanation of the workings of the...ummm...bottom end. And wouldn't you know, in the process of reading Gulp, I was able to answer three different Trivia Crack questions about the stomach and colon that I'd learned! That alone made it worth it!

Your favorite Mary Roach book? If you don't have one, you need to read more Mary Roach!

14 comments:

  1. I pretty sure Mary Roach can make almost anything interesting! I really loved her book Stiff about what happens to our bodies after we die...it's a little morbid, but totally fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one I can't wait to read. If I thought telling my family about the digestive system was weird...

      Delete
  2. Stiff is still my fave. In fact, I've never been able to finish another one of her books...from Spook to Bonk. Though I will give this one a try, and I'll probably give Bonk another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spook doesn't interest me at all. I guess cause I already have beliefs about the afterlife, so if I do read it, it will be last. Bonk I will definitely try. I have a feeling Stiff will be my favorite and I haven't even read it yet! Lol

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but I love Mary Roach's ability to make any topic fascinating. Packing for Mars is my favorite, and Stiff and Bonk are also fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packing for Mars! That's the one I was forgetting. Glad to hear you liked it. I'm hoping she finds more topics to write about. I think I'd try just about any topic she wanted to research.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely going to read this one! I read Stiff not long ago and I thought it was utterly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating. We watched a movie with friends this past weekend and it had a clip of Elvis's death. I found myself launching into a spiel on how Elvis had a megacolon and basically died of constipation, not drug overdose...there were a few slightly gaping mouths.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the post. Mary Roach is my favorite author.
    BTW, it would be great if you can add a Find in library link for each book you post.
    You can visit http://link2library.com/, http://aboutread.com or http://ladyinread.com/2015/02/february-literary-date-night-book-club-landline-by-rainbow-rowell/ to explore how this works. It is absolutely free to use this service on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Roach has been being recommended to me for ages too and while I haven't gotten to reading one of her books yet, I think she's giving a talk near me in April or May, so I'll have to make time for one before then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! And if you don't get to read one, go hear her anyway. That would be awesome.

      Delete
  7. My favorite Mary Roach book is probably Stiff. What I love about her is exactly what you said -- she makes you want to read about things you didn't know you cared about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And now my knowledge of the digestive system is out of hand. Eating chips last night trying not to bite my tongue and I remembered - and told my husband - that the human jaw is strong enough to grind your teeth out, but our brain controls it from doing so. I received a rather incredulous look.

      Delete