Thursday, January 22, 2015

Miss Peregrine's World of Peculiar!

Big classroom hits!
Ugh! I have to start with the fact that I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and its sequel, Hollow City, quickly and with great interest...only to find out there's another book coming. Ahhhhhh! It's a series, which I totally didn't know going into it. I hate starting series before they all come out. The third book will be out late 2015. And apparently, Tim Burton is making a movie of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, for which Wikipedia mentions a release date of March 4, 2016.

An example of "weird" pictures within.
We see stuff like this cause of the Internet,
but before the Internet, such strange things
were few and far between.

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, I truly enjoyed these books. Fantasy is the name of the game with these YA novels, which usually places a book at a disadvantage with me. However, Riggs formed the story around groups of actual old photographs. Strange and spooky black and white or sepia photos that actually exist adorn the covers and pages of these stories. The narration pulls the random photos together, forming a fictional, but cool story about the why's and what if's of the weird photographs. At any point where Riggs describes a strange person or weird set up, you'd better believe a new picture will appear on the following page.


That small connection to reality (the photos) drew me in, along with the wonderful reviews from all sorts of readers - especially from those who don't care for YA and make sure you know it! As Miss Peregrine's gained popularity, I started recommending it to students, who are forever my guinea pigs when I have too much to read and not enough time (like, always). Every single one loved it. Anyway, I wanted to see the cool pictures and while I was at it I might as read the book, right?

Some photos are obviously photoshopped,
but back in the day, with such limited
technology, people wouldn't realize this, or
at least wonder how it was done.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children finds teenage Jacob bored and out of place with life. However, a chain of events sets in motion discoveries that no one can imagine and no one will believe. Fighting for his life and the lives of new friends, Jacob time travels, fights monsters, and ultimately finds a place where he belongs. Hollow City picks up right where Miss Peregrine's leaves off, continuing the story you so want to hear the end of...until you hit the last five pages and realize there aren't enough pages left for this to wrap up and then see that there is a whole other book that won't be out for a year...then you're just cursing under your breath.

But it's good up until then. And I'll be a happy person come end of this year and I get to continue us the journey with Miss Peregrine and her peculiar children.

Have I piqued your interest enough?

18 comments:

  1. I haven't read these but my husband just discovered them and loved them. Not sure he knows a third book is coming out - will have to let him know. Tim Burton is probably the right person to handle these books on film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you hit the end of Hollow City, you know there's another. It just stops. And my copy had an advertisement for the next book on the page after the last. Tim Burton is going to make this book as crazy as it is probably meant to be. (I think my mind limits the craziness within a level I can handle! Lol)

      Delete
  2. I read the first book when it came out a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but I had no idea it was going to be a series! Or that Tim Burton is adapting it for film (wow is he perfect for this project). It sounds like there's a lot more to look forward to from Miss Peregrine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I really can't wait to see what he does with it!

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read Hollow City, but I think I'll probably just start the series over again once the whole thing is released- I go berserk waiting for new installments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And I usually wait and it drives me nuts waiting for them all to come out to start reading! So either way, it drives me crazy.

      Delete
  4. I loved both of these books and had no idea there was a third one AND a movie! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking even if they change parts of the story, the cinematics are going to be great!

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize these were YA, cool. I loved the first one, but haven't gotten around to the second one yet. Tim Burton is perfect perfect perfect for the task of turning these into movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many people loved them, I just had to check them out. Cause as YA, that stops some readers.

      Delete
  6. The photos are certainly intriguing in that creepy sort of way! (I see what you mean now re: photos I had)

    At this point, although my TBR pile is quite high, I think my daughter has at least the first book - and now I think I just might have to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both quick, easy reads, so that helps too!

      Delete
  7. I don't care much for YA either, but those photos seem interesting. I will probably wait for all the books to come out though. I hate waiting for series to finish, and I have too many unfinished ones already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Nothing drives me more crazy than a series I haven't finished!

      Delete
  8. The pictures are so strange! I'm not sure they make me want to pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some that are super strange and others that are obviously just costuming or staging. The weird thing is they are old pictures, not current photoshopped or made to look old. I guess that's why they seem interesting. But I did at one point stop reading...it was night time and a skeleton was described and I wasn't about to turn the page to that picture in the dark! Lol, I'm a chicken.

      Delete