Monday, January 5, 2015

Christmas Book Haul

Top: Me, Rachel
Bottom: THEE Books
Mid-December I thought through a list of books I'd like to spend my B&N Christmas gift cards on and guest posted it to get everyone's opinion. First weekend of January, I met up with my equally book crazy friend Rachel and headed out to celebrate the New Year buying books. We spent no less than four hours going through shelves, drinking coffee, and talking! And, for the most part, I stuck to my list - may be a first really and probably renders this post redundant, but, who doesn't want to talk about a book haul trip and awesome friends? (Is that sentence grammatically and punctuationally correct?! Is punctuationally a word? Who cares...I'm not back to work yet!) Plus, I have a couple other bookish Christmas gifts to show off, so stick with me here people.



I used my gift cards for:

1. Every Day, by David Levithan. This was unplanned, but Rachel randomly picked it off the shelf and read the front blurb to me, which I couldn't resist. It reads, "Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl." The extended summary on the back gives a bit more detail and makes it even more interesting. Rachel put it on her ebook list, so I bought the copy we'd found.

2. Where'd You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple. I've been told repeatedly to read this, planned on it, and just went for it. At the register the cashier said, "Oh this is a good one!" So, I'm extra confident in it now!

3. Lookaway, Lookaway, by Wilton Barnhardt. Another that's been repeatedly recommended.

4, 5, 6. Outlander (not pictured), Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager, by Diana Gabaldon. I had debated on the previous post whether or not I wanted to buy the whole series with my gift cards or just the first one to see if I liked it. Rachel made it simple by asking, "Well, are you one of those people who's going to read the whole series just because you read the first one and it's a series?" Sometimes you just need that bookish twin who knows the right questions to ask. She's right, I am that person, so I figured I'd buy the first few at least. And now I have another reason to go back! I had to ask B&N to order the trade paper copy of Outlanders WITHOUT the movie cover. So, it is on its way. But they had in stock books number 2&3! Now, when to read them? I'm thinking June will be perfect timing, but don't know if I can wait until then.

Besides my gift cards, other bookish gifts I received were a new book light from my parents, a bookmark from Allison at The Book Wheel , and a literary memory game from my sister. The bookmark is a Bookjig, which I've never seen before. It clips to the front of the book and has a ribbon hanging down. So when you're not reading, your bookmark doesn't get lost! The book light is extra small, sturdy for clipping to the front of the book, and doesn't get in the way. And the memory game is the Book Lovers Classics Edition! No one has played with me yet...it's like they think the pictures will give me extra memory power! Love them all.


Anyone else get great books/bookish gifts over the holidays?

29 comments:

  1. Outlander is so good! The first four are the best- They are long, but fly by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait! I love series and series with big books even more!

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhh! The Memory Game looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought it was just regular memory with book pictures, but it's not. You can identify matches by knowing quotes that go with authors and stuff like that. I'll get my family to play once and then they won't ever again! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Ahhh I'm so excited for you taking the Outlander plunge! I hope it's a wonderful journey for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were one of the people who convinced me I need to dive in! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh...that was like my favorite trip EVER to B&N hahaha Glad I could learn from your book-ish ways and contribute even a little to your favorite trip of the year! Thanks for sharing it with me! And I see a game night in our near future ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, my best trip ever too! Thanks so much for coming :) And yes, definite game night is needed! I also have Monopoly Book version!

      Delete
  5. I love this post! Your book date sounds phenomenal. I need to find that real life book twin to come to the book store with me.

    Outlander has been on my mind recently - as you know I read the first and loved it but I haven't read any further. I have the next 2 on my shelves! I need to read the next one soon. Where'd You Go Bernadette? IS fantastic. I think you will love it.

    Woo book haul! Happy new year friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone keeps saying I will love it. And, like Word for Worms above, I decided to go for Outlander due to your raves about it!

      Delete
  6. Your bookstore trip sounds lovely! I hope you enjoy Where'd You Go, Bernadette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where'd You Go Bernadette is a good one! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so many people saying so, I'm wondering what took me so long to get to it! I may have to move it to the front of the line!

      Delete
  8. Love your book haul! Can't wait to read what you thought of Where'd You Go Bernadette! (I still want to read it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I'll be one more voice saying, "You have to read this!"

      Delete
  9. What a great way to start the new year - book buying!

    I've read Every Day by David Levithan. I quite enjoyed it but it isn't a book I'd pick up again. He does have a unique writing style though.

    I hope you enjoy all your new bookish finds!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting. The cover gave it a certain look that said "Different" to me.

      Delete
  10. Oooh, good stuff! I hope you love Bernadette as much as I did! And the Outlanders. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems everyone on the planet (or my part of it) has read Bernadette! Lol! Thanks.

      Delete
  11. I didn't get a "bookish" gift but more of a writer'ish gift. :) My son gave me a t-shirt that says......wait......."Writer."

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Outlander books are fantastic! So good. Man, I wish I could write like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading it has to be the next best thing...but I know what you mean.

      Delete
  13. Bernadette is a fabulous book- one that will make you laugh out loud. Plus, it's a pretty good picture of Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you would know! As soon as I finish the book I'm on, I'm starting Bernadette. I think I've heard more positive claims about it than any other book!

      Delete
  14. I’m glad you like the bookmark and you’re going to LOVE Outlander. I raced through the first 5 of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing I like better than a long series of big books that you can't help but race through. And I've officially used the bookmark on two books and have decided it is perfect!

      Delete