Monday, April 7, 2014

The Official Illustrated Movie Companion



My biggest anticipation of seeing a book-to-movie is the "how." How will they use costumes, make-up, props, special effects, location, etc., to tell my story. (Yes, I meant to say "my story." Veronica Roth, author of Divergent, even says that she have herself a lecture about ownership. Once the book is published, she was, in some ways, giving up ownership of her work. It now belonged to readers and the movie makers as well.)

With that said, I much appreciate the sets of book-to-movie books that have popped up since at least Twilight (I am not aware of them for books-to-movie previous to Twilight). They are always titled The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, along with the title of the book-to-movie it will discuss. I have also noticed that these movie guides are usually made for fantasy/dystopian type books-to-movie, such as Twilight, The Hunger Games, City of Bones, and Divergent (one for each movie made, not one per series). I assume this is in part due to the large fan base these types of series garner prior to the movie and also because there are fantastical elements about which people may be curious. In short, they know these books' movie companions will sell.

These 120+ page books serve a couple of purposes. The books are all slightly different, but typically discuss the topics of casting, movie crew, costume/make-up, special effects, and locations. Each book has more than enough pictures showing the various costumes, locations, make-up sessions, computer/CGI work, and other behind the scenes activities that took place during the making of the movie. The text gives summaries of the book in reference to how the movie makers decided to bring certain events to life. Or, more interesting, discuss how they went about creating something, like the intricate research and study that went into the making of Twilight's CGI werewolves. Numerous quotes from involved parties, such as the author, director, actors/actresses, etc., are given in answer to questions posed by that particular movie guide's author or for insight into character portrayal.





It's really as close as most of us will ever get to an inside scoop. Although I don't think I'm the type who would do well on a movie set, it is definitely cool to know the fun facts of the process. And really, who doesn't want to know everything possible about a book he/she loves?

What is your favorite book-to-movie?

7 comments:

  1. This is interesting! I never think to buy the book/movie companion books, even though all of the things you mentioned sound really interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quick reads too. I just finished the Divergent one and kept saying to my husband, "You know that scene where..." and filling him in.

      Delete
  2. Well, by my curiosity was greater, I always thik that Official Illustrated Movie it's a way to make more money, so I never buy one. But reading your post, you open my mind to another point of view, and I like that.
    I'm curious to see the Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Book ;)

    http://carolinaribeirobr.blogspot.com.br/?view=classic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guarantee they have total intentions of doing it just to make money! But, I figure if I love a series, I want to know everything about it.

      Delete
    2. By the way, I'd love to read your blog, but I only speak and read English :(

      Delete
  3. Fun! I too don't often think to buy the movie companion book - in fact most times I haven't looked at them closely enough and often mistake them for 'novelizations'. This is a different perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember why I picked up the first one. I think my mother-in-law bought it for me (she's obsessed with Twilight).

      Delete