Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon



I've noticed talk of Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon taking place this Saturday, April 26, 2014. Starting at 7am US Central time and for 24 hours following, readers around the blogosphere will be spending as much time as possible reading. I haven't been able to participate in this for some time, so I am glad that this weekend is looking good for it! I'm not sure if there's a formal sign up...I wasn't sure I'd be able to participate til this week, so I didn't pay attention for a sign up link. But I'll be posting on Sunday or Monday about my progress and tweeting as I read.

The best way to feel accomplished during a Read-a-thon is to have a variety of material, preferably short to mid-size books. I am going against this in hopes of finishing All the Light We Cannot See. The book is almost 550 pages long and I'm only about 30% through it at this time (and won't be more than 40% through by Friday). With the end of the school year (and research paper grading) still going strong, Dewey's Read-a-thon is just what I need to carry me through the rest of this book. Of course, in case I do need to switch it up, I also have a graphic novel, The Forgotten Man, ready to go. These are both new releases for May 2014, so I'm excited to also use the Read-a-thon to get a leg up on my publisher review list!

Source: Amazon.com
Of course, I will be hoarding snacks and drinks for the day. I love to snack while reading...unfortunately, it will likely end up as a raid on my kids' Easter candy :/ So conveniently located. Who can resist?

I have a third piece to my reading routine - my dogs! Both of my dogs will sit right alongside me the whole day. They are faithful reading companions. I'll make sure I get them in on the update action.

The one break I will likely take in the day is the softball season opener my daughter has mid-day. Besides that, I think I'm ready to go. Anyone want to join? It's not too late.

27 comments:

  1. Just signed up to join this read a thon! Going to the beach this weekend and my goal was to spend it reading, so this is perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice - the beach! I will likely lay around in bed and read...the Ohio weather is still a bit fickle.

      Delete
    2. I live in Oregon--supposed to be a rainy weekend at the beach. Perfect for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same boat as you and will probably finish up the same book! ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Will you be posting a review of it? I've only seen a couple reviews of it so far.

      Delete
  3. One correction! Says Andi the Organizer. lol It starts at 7am US Central time on Saturday. Wouldn't want you missing a big chunk! Sorry I'm not commenting from my normal account. I always forget to sign out of the Readathon one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction! I will change it!

      Delete
  4. Love your plans! I have The Forgotten Man lined up, too. I'm debating whether or not to start All The Light...before or wait until after. My dog will be by my side through this, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough call. In the past I've done the small book thing and I really felt like I got some reading done with the number of books I could get through. But I figured what better way to get time to read a Chunkster than read it all day long. Hope you get a pic of your dog in your update!

      Delete
  5. I'm also in!!
    This is my first readathon and I'm super excited!
    I have to choose carefully my books this evening: thanks for your advice, I'll pick up short books I have on my pile, and I think I'll take a look around the library later today :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Good idea to plan ahead too. You're going to love this!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like so much fun! I hope you have a great reading day! My little girl is three and a half so I won't be able to do much uninterrupted reading. Maybe I'll plan to read a lot of children's books with her though since she already loves reading... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea! I will only have one kid home with me and he will likely bounce around from thing to thing, so I might get some interruptions.

      Delete
  7. So excited to be participating in this, my first readathon!

    http://with-sugar.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! You're going to love it! I'll stop by to see your update!

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your read-a-thon Jennine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a great way to spend part of the weekend! I like the idea of your dogs hanging out with you while you read. Mine will cuddle with me for a bit but he moves on after a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the time they were tiny puppies, I put each in bed next to while I read every night. So now, at ages 9 and 5, they will sit and sit. I've made them as lazy and inactive as I am!

      Delete
  10. Good luck on the read-a-thon! I'm excited to start reading. My Goodreads challenge tells me I'm 12 books behind schedule which is a huge womp womp. . . but oh well. . . I'll catch up a little tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are amazing. You are the mayo on my Wonder Bread, the almond in my Hersheys, the 1% on my Special K, you are the reason I write. Now I'm hungry for a book. Good luck readers. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolynn - you know I'll be among the first waiting to spread your words when the time comes!

      Delete
  12. This sounds like so much fun!! Sadly I have homework...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do this twice a year, so maybe next time. And there's also Bout of Books in May, which is a week long event with awesome Twitter chats. I'll be posting about that one soon.

      Delete
  13. I loved participating in the readathon! It was my first time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Did you look into Bout of Books? Just as awesome!

      Delete