Friday, August 23, 2013

Bookish A - Z

Source: businessinsider.com
I never noticed that this logo basically says A - Z



Well, reading is slow going this week with all the preparations for school underway. Seems like a good start so far. So here's another fun bookish survey I found. This one is from Wensend. (Hop over there and read her answers too!)

Author you’ve read the most books from
I'm thinking Jodi Picoult.

Best sequel ever
Are we talking series too? Harry Potter and the Mortal Instruments are great series.

Currently reading
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and Grace Filled Marriage by Tim Kimmel

Drink of choice while reading
Tea (cold weather) or pop (hot weather)

E-reader or physical book?
Physical book is my preference; however, reading cuddled in bed at night, I've found the e-reader more convenient.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school
Sadly, I might've dated Edward Cullen from Twilight. I was all for that mushy, unhealthy obsession stuff. A teenager phase, thankfully.

Glad you gave this book a chance
Twilight...I put off reading it for so long, but ended up liking the series.

Hidden gem book (not sure it's hidden, but I don't hear of it very often)
The Color of Water, by James McBride

Important moment in your reading life
First time I read an entire book in one day...Ribsy by Beverly Cleary when I was in third grade. 

Just finished
MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche

Kinds of books you won’t read
Sci-fi and fantasy...it's a fine line, cause I've read in both and have found some I like.

Longest book you’ve read
The Count of Monte Cristo at 1462 pages.

Major book hangover because of
Driving with Dead People...quite a memoir. Read it in one sitting. (Is that what they mean by hangover?)

Number of bookcases you own
5. Four at home (one in each bedroom and one in my living room). One overflowing bookcase in my classroom.

One book you have read multiple times
To Kill a Mockingbird.

Preferred place to read
Snuggled up in bed...but I always have a book to read anywhere I may be.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read
? There are way too many possibilities...and I'm not good at recalling them off the top of my head.

Reading regret
That I took so long to find my reading niche...spent a lot of time reading anything and lots of worthless stuff instead of really paying attention and being just a little pickier. Or maybe this question is asking for an actual book that wasn't too great? The Weird Sisters, by Eleanor Brown.

Series you started and need to finish
Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. It would help if I knew it was a huge, not completely published series when I started it years ago, I would've waited. Now the first book is a movie and book 6 isn't out until next March!

Three of your all-time favorite books (these are just three favorites...there's so many)
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Thousand Gifts
Les Miserables

Unapologetic fangirl for
I don't know that I've gone absolutely crazy over a book. My most recent kick was Les Mis. I read the book, saw the movie, saw the musical all in a couple months time. I even had a photo album of all the uses I found for that fat little book as I carried it around with me.

Very excited for this release more than all the others
I don't know about more than all others, but I am looking forward to the Salinger biography coming out September 3rd. It's called Salinger, by David Shields and Shane Salerno

Worst bookish habit
Scratching my head in concentration while I read.

X marks the spot: start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book
Which shelf? I have four here at home! Of the 4 below, I've only read #4!
Shelf 1: Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Stories, by Joseph Conrad
Shelf 2: The Preservationist, by David Maine
Shelf 3: Triangle, by Katharine Weber
Shelf 4: Bibliotopia or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-all of Literary Facts & Curiosities. Compiled by Steven Gilbar

Your latest book purchase
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up way late)
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, by Therese Anne Fowler

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy-macaroni.
      Right here, right now, let me go on record and say you are a...BOOK-BROAD. Amazing and so cool.

      And I love that you drink 'pop'. Back east we call it 'soda'. I'll bet you carry it home in a sack. We carry our soda in a bag. Hahaha.

      (I had to delete my first attempt. I screwed up.)

      Delete
    2. Haha! I'll take that as a compliment! And yes, we say pop. Actually, while in Florida we ate at a restaurant where I asked the waitress what kind of pop they had and she laughed and said, "Pop? Where you all from?" Haha. But I do say bag - not many people say sack that I've noticed ;) I'm beginning to think the word pop is an Ohio thing!

      Delete
    3. Pop reaches further west than Ohio. I graduated from high school and went to college for a while in St. Louis. (Yes this New Englander lived among you mid-westerners for awhile.)They always said pop and sack.
      And, Book-Broad is a compliment for sure.

      Delete
    4. Lol, I always seem to travel East, so that explains why I thought it was just Ohio.

      Delete
  2. First time I read an entire book in one day...Ribsy by Beverly Cleary when I was in third grade. <~~ Love that memory :)

    I didn't like The Weird Sisters either. I expected something totally different I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was so thrown off by the narrator, that I spent half the book trying to figure out how it worked with the story.

      Delete
  3. LOL I love that you admitted to the Edward Cullen thing in high school. Very bold ;) And I LOVE that you remember the first book you read in a whole day. Mine was Charlotte's Web in the first grade and I think that it's something only true book lovers remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I keep my high school memories close by, so I can better relate and sympathize with my students! lol! And book lovers are probably the only ones with an experience like that to remember!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I totally would NOT date Edward. . . I'm a team Jacob kind of girl. I like the dark hair and tan thing, not the whole glitter in the sun thing. :)

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, I agree. Jacob's much better looking...but he's too happy for what high school me went for.

      Delete
  5. Actually this tag is from Jamie from theperpetualpageturner.com haha :) But great answers! Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I figured if they came over to you, they'd see your tag of her! Lol!

      Delete