Friday, August 16, 2013

Beach Reads 2






If the first half of our Destin, Florida beach vacation was good, the second half was better. Reading was slow moving as we took on lots of activity the second half of the week. We saw dolphins and sharks on a boat tour that boasted a glass bottom (really it was windows below deck).













Grandma and Grandpa (aka my parents) handed out a good amount of spending money and we had a shopping spree at the nearby outlet mall. My daughters found some decent deals and when we all got home, it was like Christmas in...August. Let's just say school shopping is done. I bought two casual sun dresses, found at 70% off! Good deal and me in a dress? Usually only happens once a year (no joke), so this is a first for me.







Thursday was something of a date day. The kids stayed with my parents and my husband and I went down to the harbor for parasailing and jet skiing! Now, we are in no way adventurous. The fact that we considered any of it is a bit out of character. Parasailing was awesome! If you have a chance, just do it. I can't recommend jet skiing with the same intensity, but it was fun. And my husband will tell you parasailing was fun and jet skiing was awesome - minus the screaming wife. (I don't have a picture of jet skiing, but just imagine me behind him screaming in a high pitched voice, "Brandon! No, don't go that fast! My butt keeps flying off the seat! No, don't turn like that. Stop! STOP!!" This was only for the first 20 minutes of the hour long ride and then intermittently when we hit huge waves...and my husband was more amused than annoyed. He laughed at me the entire time and plenty afterward.)


Yes, I am using B&N as a vacation highlight and
 yes, I stood in the roadway to take this picture.


The restaurant we ate at Thursday night was in a plaza with Barnes & Noble. Honestly, our B&N here in little ole Boardman, Ohio is bigger and better organized on the inside; however, Destin's B&N's outward beauty takes the cake. The lighting and palm trees framing the majestic store front...wonderful. I walked around, seeing many titles I've been waiting for, until one hit me. I picked up Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Kinda like my daughter buys magnets and my friend buys collector spoons, I always buy a book when I visit a new place.






After 14 years of carrying my stuff in a diaper bag or a huge
bag-purse to haul my kids' stuff, my first real purse!



I unexpectedly received an early birthday present from my husband. We hit the Coach store at the outlet mall and I got a purse and wallet for 80% off the already sale price! I've never owned anything Coach and this bag is Denver Broncos colors, so he digs that.














Even with all of that going on, I managed to do some late night reading on the balcony swing - the perfect reading nook, as the nights are warm and I could sleep out there if I wanted to.

I read MWF Seeking BFF, by Rachel Bertsche. Bertsche's memoir tracks her year long effort to make new friends after marrying and moving from New York to Chicago (hence, MWF = married white female). She goes on one "friend date" per week for a whole year, using "relationship behavior as the framework through which [she] sees the world," looking for the people who become so dear to us: good girlfriends.

Between anecdotes, Bertsche give statistics and current research of the effects of relationships on us, on others, and even on marriages and family life. Humorous and honest, Bertsche says what many people won't admit they're thinking as they search out the special niche it takes to make and be good friends. Along the way she learns a few things about the kind of friend she is and what she must do to be a better one. It took me a little time to get into it and I wouldn't say it's a must read, but it is a topic to which we can all relate. If the topic of friends and making friends is on your mind or interests you, this is a good pick. More than once I found myself nodding in agreement or having an 'aha' moment as I realized she was describing something I knew, but couldn't put my finger on. As someone who's done a lot of soul searching in my relationships the past year, this book was a good piece to add onto my log of research, reading, and advice I've collected on the topic.

And I have to say that I have never reached the end of a vacation and wanted to stay. This is a first...if my parents had said "Let's stay," I would've cancelled everything back home this week and stayed. But life moves on and, in the back of my head, the wheels for next vacation are turning.

Now on to The Devil in the White City!

15 comments:

  1. Sorry for the sloppiness of the post, but if I messed with it any more, the computer was going through the window. If anyone can tell me how to get rid of the white outline around the words, I'd appreciate it. I did nothing different between the copying of the top paragraph and the others. And on the dashboard, none of those gaps are there. ARGGGG technology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy time! You guys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, parasailing sounds too adventurous for me but bet it was fabulous. I've heard wonderful things about Destin, but we've never been.

    ooohh, I love that coach purse and wallet...I guess I need to find an outlet near me if I ever am going to get one :) Happy early birthday!

    Hope you enjoy Devil in the White City, I'm interested to hear what you and your students think of it! When does school start for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parasailing was easier than a roller coaster...nothing to it, I swear. I think I'm just starting to get into Devil...the set up at the beginning was a little slow moving, but now enough hints have been dropped that I'm just waiting to see what comes.

      I have three days of teacher in-service next week and students come August 26th. I have 7th and 11th grade this year - quite a mix!

      Delete
  4. What a great vacation! And Go Broncos, of course ;) I would probably call it Gators colors even though I live in Denver now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parasailing! Good for you! I'd be too much of a chicken I think ;) Sounds like you all had a marvelous time!

    I hope you like Devil in the White City, I thought it was fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I am getting into Devil more now. It's slower reading, but the Holmes pieces are eerie and I want to see what happens.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that looks like so much fun! I'd love to go parasailing some time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you get a chance, GO!!! It was really cool.

      Delete
  7. I love it. Your vacation photos include a Barnes and Noble. Wouldn't expect it any other way.
    And you got to para....saillll, what fun.

    School starts soon, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like back to reality this week with teacher orientation. But, it's good. The start of a year is usually one of the best parts.

      Delete
  8. That MWF Seeking BFF sounds like a really interesting read! I've basically lived in Vancouver my whole life so the girls I went to highschool with are my closest girlfriends but over time you seem to have less in common? And it's SO hard to make friends in this city! Maybe I should pick that one up - although I don't know if I would be ballsy enough to go on friend dates a la I Love You, Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would be able to go on friend dates either (although, she doesn't tell all these people what she's doing...they think they're all hanging out). But now that I've read it, I find myself applying my friendships and friendship situations to the patterns and ideas she's found/formed around the experience. It is pretty cool.

      Delete