Friday, August 9, 2013

Bookish Q&A

Came across this fun set of bookish Q&A to wile away the day until I can post my vacation posts. I found it on Worms for Words, where Katie posted her own answers, so stop by and take a look at what she thinks too!

Book Q&A Rules

1. Post these rules
2. Post a photo of your favorite book cover
3. Answer the questions below
4. Tag a few people to answer them too
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them
6. Make sure you tell the person who tagged you that you’ve taken part!


Your Favorite Book Cover: The England edition of The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. One year I had 9th grade honors read it for summer reading and we did a discussion on the various book covers. I found this one and bought it even though I already had the American copy!


What are you reading right now? MWF Seeking BFF, by Rachel Bertsche. I started it, then interrupted it to read another, so now back to it again.

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that? The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson is next. It's the last of my vacation books that I won't get to, since vacation is winding down.

What five books have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to? 
1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards.
2. The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
3. Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson
4. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford
5. The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

What magazines do you have in your bathroom/ lounge right now? None! I don't generally read magazines and my bathroom is kinda small to keep any...besides the fact that I don't like the idea of my books in a bathroom! Yucky.

What’s the worst book you’ve ever read? I'm not sure. I can think of books I was disappointed in, like Ursula Hegi's The Worst Thing I've Done. I read her other stuff first and this one didn't measure up for me.

What book seemed really popular but you didn’t like? Books in the style of David Sedaris and Sloane Crosley. I usually find them okay, but not enough to recommend or rave about. And I guess that's a fine line because I love memoirs..so I'm not sure if it's the writing style or what.

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone? I feel safe recommending anything Jodi Picoult because they're usually good and I'm familiar with how her storylines work. Sometimes I get wary of recommending to people whose reading preferences I don't know because there isn't much that offends me in books.
What are your three favorite poems?
1. I had been hungry, all the years - by Emily Dickinson. (After relating it to a real life person, I grew to love this one. See post here.)
2. The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost. Cliche maybe, but it holds such truth.
3. Bits and pieces of Walt Whitman. His poems are so long that you can easily like one part and not another.

Where do you usually get your books? Barnes and Noble, Amazon, NetGalley (which are technically prepublication files, not even the final ebook version) and paperbackswap.com (PBS). PBS allows you to request books from people across the nation for the cost of media mail postage (roughly $3). When someone receives a book from you, you get a credit to request a book from anyone else. If you look into PBS and decide to sign up, put my user name, LuvReading79, in the form so I can receive credit! 

When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits? Not that I can recall. I was just always reading and often two books at once, which I don't like to do any more.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was too good to put down? The first one that comes to mind is Driving With Dead People, by Monica Holloway. It's a memoir about her growing up and the things she realizes about her childhood as an adult.

Have you ever “faked” reading a book? No, but I have forgotten if I've read a book or not. My memory doesn't hold the details of a story for very long, just the feeling I had about it usually.

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover? Yes. I am going to get The Flame Alphabet because of the cover. And as mentioned above, I bought a second copy of The Book Thief because of the England cover.

What was your favourite book when you were a child? I liked Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie books. I still have an original set that I read too many times to count growing up.

What book changed your life? Most recent was One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and a few years ago Crazy Love by Francis Chan started me down a different path in life. 

What is your favorite passage from a book? I never remember these after the fact, so I will go with the few from The Book Thief that I always recall with a question like this. (I know, seems to be a trend, but once you teach a book, it sticks with you!) Here they are:

1. Death as narrator says, "I do not carry a sickle or scythe. I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold. And I don't have those skull-like facial features you seem to enjoy pinning on me from a distance. You want to know what I truly look like? I'll help you out. Find yourself a mirror while I continue." The idea that death doesn't take people, but other people do...book is set in WWII.

2. Death again, saying, "I am haunted by humans." Wow, talk about turning a paradigm on its head.

3. The main character Liesel Meminger closing the book with "I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."

Who are your top five favorite authors? (First to come to mind...)
1. Jodi Picoult
2. Ursula Hegi
3. Harper Lee
4. Lysa TerKeurst and Ann Voskamp (they're kind of alike, so counting them as one)
5. William Shakespeare

What book has no one heard about but should read? Interruptions by Ursula Hegi. It's a story where the characters start talking back to the author and the author's family members butt in, giving her a hard time writing her story. I had a big time editor pick it from a list of recommendations last year and send me three free books because she picked mine!

What books are you an ‘evangelist’ for? To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. The more I reread it, the more I see each time. I call it the Literary Bible.

What are your favorite books by a first time author? Not sure about this one.

What is your favourite classic book? Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. 

Five other notable mentions? (Classics I presume?)
1. Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy, which I found paralleled Les Mis in some ways, namely the characters and their development.
2. The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas
3. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
4. A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
5. The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne

11 comments:

  1. I feel the same way as you about leaving books in the bathroom. Then you add in the steam from the shower that can curl the pages and..... it's just a big no-no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about the steam! It's a double no-no now!

      Delete
  2. I always love these bookish questions and answers :) I love that you call TKAM your literary bible, YES! I hope you enjoy The Devil in the White City, I certainly did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TKM used to be my favorite book too. Although it isn't any more, nothing can replace it as the literary bible! Starting The Devil in the White City today :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that your kids weren't peed on by an alligator..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! So were they. Their jaws dropped open and eyes got big when they saw it happen.

      Delete
  4. Well it worked! I can finally post on your blog - just not as The Paperback Princess!

    I totally did this questionnaire after I read it here! It just won't post until the 19th! I hope you take a look at mine (www.thepaperbprincess.wordpress.com to make it easier for you).

    I LOVED The Book Thief. It's so incredible. I can't talk this book up enough but people SO need to read it for themselves to understand.

    I can't wait to hear what you think about The Devil in the White City!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! How weird...my husband and another friend aren't able to comment on my posts either. Stupid technology.

      I will get yours in my email when you post it! That's how I got your "Did you miss me" post so quickly :)

      So far, Devil is slow going, but I'm not hesitating because too many people have sung its praises.

      Delete
    2. As I remember it there is a LOT of set up. But the payoff was pretty great. Hang in there!

      Delete
  5. Life after Life and Hotel on the corner of bitter & sweet is two books that is also on my list and I never get to them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get to them in the months after this post! Life After Life I loved and Hotel was enjoyable.

      http://livingawritinglife.blogspot.com/2013/09/life-after-life.html?m=0

      Delete