Sunday, March 17, 2013

What A Son Needs From His Mom


I've almost finished my first NetGalley book, What a Son Needs From His Mom, by Cheri Fuller. It is categorized as both Christian and Parenting &Family and released March 15, 2013. The coincidental thing about the reading of this book is that I did it completely while on my lunch duty in a high school cafeteria. So as I read, I would look up and study a room full of teenage boys, gaining some perspective on certain points as they relate to the nature of boys.

As the title tells us, the book is about what a son needs his mother to think, feel, do, etc., to help him grow into a true man. I chose this book right away, as my son has morphed into a being I don't understand at age eight. Sometimes it's hard to know what I should and should not react to or the most effective way to communicate with him. Cheri Fuller's book is full of such advice. She pulls her advice from her experience as a mother of sons, grandsons, and a large survey of men of all ages. With the advice comes examples of how she's seen it play out in her life and the lives of those around her. 

Not only does she talk about how moms can nurture their son's confidence and emotions, but she also addresses the things moms need to keep under control in order to allow their son to grow. Fear and over protection are among the top that stunt a young boy's growth. (And I'd say that goes for girls too.) She includes stories of good intentions with less than favorable results, which validate her advice and the testimonies of the men surveyed.

Unlike other Christian parenting books I've read, Fuller branches out into schooling with discussion on learning styles and helping your son find his strengths as well as how he learns best, as to help his weaknesses. This is an important topic because America's current school system really does work against most boys' styles of learning. The most successful students are those with involved parents and boys often need more understanding of how they learn, which a parent would see best.

Overall, the book was full of helpful advice. Although it's never too late to start connecting with your son, I think I found it at an opportune time.

Any tried and true advice about raising boys?


11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a must-read book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your review and congrats on being a finalist for Top 10 Blogs for Book Lovers over at Story Cartel. Btw my 8 year old son just finished his first Fart Powder book-he loved it! He just started Lunch Money by Andrew Clements. Has your son read any Andrew Clements yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just saw the finalist list! I changed my blog name without even thinking about it. We haven't read any Andrew Clements...let me know what your son thinks because mine is most happy jumping author to author...always looking for something new to read.

      Delete
  3. By any chance are you thinking about taking the Story Cartel class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hear about it. Is there a specific link somewhere on the site about it?

      Delete
    2. Yes, information about the class is linked in the post entitled "How to Get Published". I'm still thinking about it due to family/teacher demands, but I am definitely intrigued.

      Delete
  4. As the mother of two boys, ages 11 and 13, I LOVE books that address the unique challenges of raising boys today. I HIGHLY recommend Raising Modern Day Knights by Robert Lewis and Your Boy by Vicki Courtney. They both were invaluable to us.
    Books define our family! I'm so excited to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Books define our family"...love that Christy. That's exactly the point of my blog! Books are the vehicle for all kinds of life "stuff" for me, which of course spills over to my family. Although, I don't have them as fanatic as I am...yet ;)

      I will read the two you recommended as well. Remaking myself as a parent is my goal for this year. I want to be a calmer, wiser parent, as opposed to stressed out and "surviving."

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't mind reading this one. I have a 14 year old son ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding out about the teenage years with my 13 year old daughter. Really is a new experience! Lol. Now I've gotta find a book like this on raising girls!!

      Delete