Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Lego Bible

Unlike me, my son, who has to read half an hour a night for school, only seems happy when jumping from one author to another. When I find an author I like, I consume everything they've written. Cade was done after two of the seven Wimpy Kid books,the first Fart Powder book, and the first few Boxcar Children. But I may have fixed the problem at least for the next week or two. 

I always peruse the clearance tables at bookstores. You never know what you may find at a really good price. I hit the jackpot at Barnes & Noble tonight. I found The Brick Bible: A New Spin on the Old Testament, by Brendan Powell Smith. Aka: The Lego Bible.

Think comic book/graphic novel, but instead of drawn pictures, Legos are set up as the pictures. The Lego Bible compiles Smith's 5,000 Lego made Bible scenes and organizes them to tell over 400 stories of the books of Genesis through Chronicles (skipping Ruth). You may be thinking, "Yea, I've seen Lego buildings, how good can they really be?" You would be impressed. The scenes are detailed and cover all aspects of the Bible, from the joyous moments to the dark. It is an amazing work of art and a unique way to reach people.

From the moment it hit his hands, Cade has not put it down. He runs from one of us to another, exclaiming over the detailed treasures each page contains. At this moment he sits next to me in bed examining the fight scenes in Judges. We are going to get good use out of this book. My 11-year-old daughter has already claimed dibs next.

More of Smith's work can be found at his site: www.brickbible.com



Adam and Eve in Genesis                                        




The Plague of Frogs in Exodus


                                                                                                                        
                                                                                              David and Goliath in Samuel


                                             

7 comments:

  1. There is an actual website that goes along with the same concept, The Brick Testament. It's very amazing! My thought is...whatever it takes to get them excited about the Bible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, www.bricktestament.com was the site listed in the book cover, but every time I entered it the browser changed it to brickbible.com instead. Not sure why. It is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Was this at the store or online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at the Boardman Barnes and Noble.

      Delete
  3. I would recommend a little caution with this book and the website as it was banned from several stores including Sam's Club for "sexually explicit" material. Example: female characters with lego breasts and characters depocted as naked and in postitions depicting sex. They had to add icons and a legend to the web site so that people unsold that the scenes being depicted included language, nudity, sex, and violence. The author is a self professed atheist that enjoys making fun religions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I did see some stuff in it, but it didn't seem very far gone to me. The "naked" Legos are simply yellow...no details. The only thing I noticed is that there are many violent scenes...using clear red blocks as blood. But the stories seem Biblically correct, so I'm not sure how it's making fun of it, even if that's what the guy says he intended.

      I probably wouldn't give it to very young kids but my kids aren't so young that they couldn't handle the visuals or my answers to questions it may prompt.

      Delete
    2. But thanks for bringing this up John, as it is something people would want to look into. The depictions are accurate...they are not kiddified just because he is using Legos.

      Delete