Monday, January 4, 2016

Readcation Trial

Gatsby, my reading partner, wasn't always a huge help.
Sunday after Christmas came and all I could see coming to me throughout the vast holiday break was a week of cleaning my house. Boo! My house does need a week's worth of cleaning out, but there's no way I could spend my whole week off doing so without feeling like crazy person just in time to go back to work. I needed some fun things to do. Luckily a few get togethers came together and I also planned my very own Readcation.

The idea of a Readcation - a vacation spent reading - has been an adulthood dream of sorts, but Book Riot gave it a name and set up. Once I read the Readcation article in October, I knew I'd make it happen at least on a small scale. (My actual dream is to take a year sabbatical just to read through my TBR list, keeping a journal as I read.)

I picked Monday, December 28th as my Readcation day because there wasn't anything going on until much later in the evening and I knew I wouldn't be interrupted. Of course, I slept in first, a must on a day off when I'd usually be up by six. Upon waking, I settled in to read right in my bed (my kids are older, so without worry they'd be up any time soon). This is how every day should start. First up was A Prayer for Owen Meany because I assigned the first five chapters to my AP students over break and only had thirty pages left of those 255. I've been enjoying the reread, picking up the nuances I didn't notice the first time, because it's been so long since I read it.

I soon moved onto The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. I've been meaning to read it, but it wasn't on the top of the TBR either. However, a student is reading it for his independent novel project and, knowing I wanted to read it, he told me before break that his project was going to ruin it for me, so I'd better read it. I was so happy he warned me, that I took my classroom copy home with me and read to page 71 before I felt sleepy and decided to take a nap.

Monday evening was spent with family and friends, but I also read more Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, finishing up close to half of The Night Circus. I liked the taste of Readcation and plan on implementing it more strictly in the future.

Has anyone taken a vacation for the purpose of reading before? If so, you're my hero and I want to hear about it.

18 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll do this in the coming weeks sometime. I need to take more vacation days so I don't get sooooo burned out! You are reading two of my very favorite books. I'm certain I'll revisit Owen one day having just read him for the first time a couple of years ago, and I love love loved The Night Circus. I'll re-read that one, or listen to the audio, in the coming year, I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! My students are liking Owen a lot too. And I'm catching more interesting stuff rereading it. Night Circus is keeping my attention...feels like I'm just waiting for something to happen.

      Delete
  2. A Readcation sounds lovely! My in-laws have been hounding me for years to read Owen Meaney, so maybe I should finally pull it off the shelves and give it a go! I really enjoyed Night Circus, and the audiobooks is EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owen Meany is definitely worth a try. I'd be very interested in what you think when you get around to it!

      Delete
  3. OMG a readcation, how wonderful.
    Every time a vacation comes up for me it's cleaning and organizing time.
    The last week off I had I promised myself I'd finally be typing "The End" of my novel. I started (to finish) and at the end of the week I had the cleanest and most organized closet there is. I also threw away all the outdated spices and science projects pushed back in the fridge. I still haven't typed "The End".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - this is what happens when I have essays to grade! I suddenly have the cleanest house ever!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jennine,
    Great way to re-connect and ground yourself in the quiet meditation of reading!

    thanks
    Bren
    the life coach

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done this, but I tried to do so. I took a day off for myself with plans of doing some shopping and then finding a nice spot at Panera with my book and a lovely chai. But my plans got messed up because my two year old got sick. I love cuddling with her and being with her, but my mini-readcation was put on hold. :) Hoping to have another some time this spring and actually make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe. It's also hard to do just being home. So many things need done, it's distracting. I'm hoping to go on a vacation someday, away from home, to do a lot of reading.

      Delete
  6. The night circus is also on my TBR list!
    I don't take vacation only for reading, but yes, I've been a couple of holidays at the beach, and I only go for baths and read the whole day, so we can call it readacation as well.
    It's been a while since last time, though, and I think I won't be able to do it again until summer of 2017, so... But it's good to think the time will come someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is...it's even fun just thinking about it!

      Delete
  7. This sounds amazing! One of my favorite family vacations was at an indoor water park, because my family let me lay by the pool and read the Harry Potter book that had just come out. In the past few years, I typically use Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon as an excuse to take a readcation for a day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I love about read-a-thons...all official and I can say I HAVE to read all day today!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a wonderful idea! Genius! I plan to try it out and hopefully implement it on a semi-regular basis! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I can't believe I hadn't thought of it myself prior to reading the article.

      Delete
  9. I took a Readcation once, when I was on a break from work. I read and wrote blogs to my hearts content. It is like a therapy, felt really awesome.
    And , the night circus is a really lovely book. One of my favorites.
    That is my book review blog.
    http://www.flipaleaf.com/2015/06/the-night-circus-erin-morgenstern-le.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome. And that's a great review! I haven't reviewed it yet because I'm wondering how to pull it together.

      Delete