Sunday, January 3, 2016

Begin the Week with Words

Middle of this last week I belatedly and randomly checked my work email. There was a week old email from our new Superintendent wishing us all a relaxing holiday and break. It was very nice and all, but for me the impressive part was the quote included. It was from The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern, which I happened to be reading when I'd checked my email! And of all books, it doesn't seem one most adults would know in general. He applied the quote to us as teachers - the magic we endeavor to work.

“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.” ― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

He admitted that he hasn't actually read the book, but this quote made him put it on his list. The presence of a continual reading list and the effort made to find the perfect quote to cheer on his teachers in working their day-to-day magic counts. I am impressed in a way few adults manage to impress me.

4 comments:

  1. It is a great book! I'm glad to see that quotes are getting out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm enjoying it!

      Delete
  2. Your blog needs a like button.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of my goals for the year - move the blog up a notch. Happy New Year to you too Darlene.

      Delete