Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Eleanor & Park Sent Me Back

Source: Amazon.com
Romance: I've always categorized it in two ways. Some books are nothing but romance, and these rarely work for me. Others have romance worked into the plot and I can work with that. When I picked up Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, I knew there'd be romance, but I wasn't sure to what degree. Especially since I also knew the title characters were teenagers. Eleanor & Park is probably the Rowell book I hear talked about the most, and not from the teenage readers in my classes, so it really made me wonder.

Turns out that maybe Eleanor & Park falls between the two romance categories in which I've placed romances. The story does revolve on the romance, yet it doesn't take over the story either...just what I need, another romance category. Eleanor & Park is about...well, Eleanor and Park. Two teenagers who form an unlikely friendship. Or so they think. From how they describe and think of themselves, I think their friendship was pretty likely. Set apart from others for various reasons, they form quite a bond and experience high school as only a teen can. And it sent me straight back to high school. Memories as fresh as ever.

For those of you who don't know, I basically never left high school. Yes, I graduated, but almost every year since I have been in a high school setting. In college there was always field work that placed me in a local high school; I was an active substitute teacher for two years; and I am currently in year ten of teaching high school English. Besides the fact that my own high school years seemed so emotional to me, watching the same replay in my students and my own kids, keeps it fresh in my mind (with the wisdom of hindsight of course). Teenage-hood being what it is, it doesn't take much to get the emotions flowing. Eleanor & Park plays out that high school romance idea very well. 

Now, of course, there are other matters in the story, ones to which I cannot relate. Eleanor doesn't have a good home life, which leads to complications for her and those around her too. But, watch the news, hear a few stories from local police or educators, and you'll find that these circumstances and worse are common among teenagers and their actions. 

Eleanor & Park has been well received by adults and teens alike and for this I am glad. After reading it I realized it could have been poo-pooed as dramatic teen love despite Eleanor's situation in the story. But I remember what it felt like to be me those years. Even if life wasn't as bad as I thought (and it really wasn't), it felt like it at the time. And that's what mattered. Sometimes being firm - setting a kid straight - is needed, but compassion is always needed, if not more. 

My Rowell reading has been a success thus far! I've found Landline and Eleanor & Park spot on for the opposite ages and times in which they take place. Thank you Rainbow Rowell for being a diverse writer in this manner.

One thing I know - you couldn't pay me to go back to high school. Oh wait, I do get paid to go there. Okay well, as a student, no way. What about you readers? Miss those teen years at all?


17 comments:

  1. I've had this one sitting on my shelves for awhile, but I can't quite bring myself to read it because I'm so excited about it to be good. I'm glad that you liked it. I don't think I would want to go back to high school -- I'm pretty happy where I am now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coworker picked it up today and read 70 pages, which she says she never gets to do on a school night. It's hard to go into a story without expectations sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one, but read Fangirl which I didn't like as much. Maybe I'll give this a try though.
    I would never want to go back to high school, but I do sometimes miss the free spirit I used to have! My biggest worry was turning in a one page math homework or which shoes to ask my mom to buy for a dance :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Responsibilities were definitely less! I haven't heard much about Fangirl, but am wondering where else Rowell can go based on the adult and teen books of hers I have read.

      Delete
  3. I think Rowell does a really great job of bridging the gap between adults and teenagers. It's no bad thing for adults to remember how difficult it actually was being a teenager - it kind of sucked. I think Fangirl is still my favourite though - I think that was the one that I identified with the most closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on reading all the Rowell! Lol, and you're right she does do a good job bridging that gap. It's what I like about her books.

      Delete
  4. Hmm. Maybe I’ll end up reading this one, aftere all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything, it's an easy read. It won't take long at all, even if you don't absolutely love it.

      Delete
  5. This book is also very popular here in my country, among the YA blogs, but I didn't feel interested until now, reading your review.
    I would never come back to my high school years, those were so dramatic years, hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! If it comes across your path, pick it up and give it a try.

      Delete
  6. I really liked this book and didn't feel as if it was overdone. With all the hormones teens are dealing with almost anything is possible!

    Having said that, NO WAY would I want to go back. I've never even gone to a reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I went to one reunion and it was a waste!!!

      Delete
  7. "Miss those teen years at all?"
    No way.
    I went to three high schools (my father's job had us move a lot) so getting, and staying connected was impossible. I have never been back to the high school I graduated from and have no regrets. The sixties was an exciting time but for us kids stuck in-between the 50's traditionalism and the 60's craziness, it was difficult. I don't know how you do what you do on a daily basis.
    Bless you my friend, bless you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see high schools over the decades. That age and place seems to have always been the toughest no matter the decade. It would be interesting to see how life and education changed.

      Delete
  8. Hi! When I first heard about this book, I was hesitant to read it because I prefer old books/authors. A classmate of mine won't stop talking about it so I gave it a try. And I just fell in love with it! Rainbow's style is a breath of fresh air. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE MOTION PICTURE!

    My high school life was unforgettable. Most of my terribly embarrassing moments happened during those years. Weird transition to becoming a LADY. A broken heart. Betrayals (mostly ridiculous girl issues haha). We realize that those things that hurt us real bad before are not really important. I take pleasure in reminiscing my teenage years but would rather stay where I am now. :)

    This is an awesome review by the way. This is the only review of E&P that I took time reading from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Good memories, but better left in the past. Thank you so much for the compliment on my review :) I didn't realize this was being made into a movie.

      Delete