Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Jeannette Walls and The Silver Star



Photo Source: rainydaybooks.com


The Silver Star, by Jeannette Walls
Publisher: Scribner
Publication date: June 11, 2013
Category: Literature/Fiction (Adult)
Source: Received from publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I typically don't read fiction e-books (free or not) because I far prefer the experience of a book in my hands. However, when I found Jeannette Walls (author of ever popular The Glass Castle) had a new book on NetGalley, I could not pass up the opportunity to read it before most everybody else!

The Silver Star is a story of two sisters and their eccentric and somewhat neglectful mother. The sisters travel to their mother's hometown where they find family they've never met and a (now broken down) legacy they never knew existed. In their attempt to settle in, sisters Liz and Bean Holladay find themselves in the midst of searching out identity and a major complication by the name of Jerry Maddox.

I have to say the story was somewhat predictable at times, which keeps me from saying too much here. Even if you couldn't nail the events exactly, you could guess where a few pieces of the storyline were headed. (Especially if you are familiar with Jeannette Walls's family history from The Glass Castle.) Yet, I found myself reading throughout the afternoon and late into the night, finishing the 288 page book in almost one day. (And that's reading around a full time job and three kids!)

So what held my interest?

Bean Holladay. One of the main characters, she is also the narrator. As a twelve-year-old living an atypical family lifestyle, she has an interesting take on many things. Her spunk keeps you cheering for her as she learns to view her mother through more mature eyes, instead of blind love, and takes on an entire town in the fight of her lifetime. She is endearing and inspiring and really makes The Silver Star worth the read.

7 comments:

  1. I liked The Glass Castle so much that I'm willing to give this one a try :) Probably not immediately, but soonish, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jennifer. I'll pick this up but when it comes along my path! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer and Rebecca, that's the kind of book it is...pick it up when you happen upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have The Glass Castle to read, and I've already read her other one, Half Broke Horses, which I loved. My personal tastes run towards young narrators (BASTARD OUT OF CAROLINA, ELLEN FOSTER, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, WHITE OLEANDER, etc). Even though some of it may be predictable, the idea of a 12 yr old narrator named Bean sounds too much like a story I'd fall in love with. Besides, my father's mother's maiden name was Holliday (slightly different spelling) so a win/win. :) The narrator in my first book is 11, and even though that book hasn't sold (yet!), I keep hoping. I love the "voices" of young narrators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect fit for you! And the young narrator is what made the book for me. Come to think of it, I like young narrators too...I like that I have to keep thinking to make sure I'm seeing things through adult and kid eyes. "Atonement" comes to mind on that front.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good read. I haven't read the Glass Castle either but it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete