Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Series I Want to Read

I LOVE reading series. I consider anything with three books or more a series because any story that extends past two books seems to have more potential to pull me in. And any series to which I commit (meaning the first book makes me want to read on), I become super involved in the characters' lives and don't want the series to end.

However, reading a series is also a serious commitment. It means other books get put aside because I must read a series back-to-back! Not only do I not like waiting to see what is next, but I also have a horrible memory for details. I know I lose little pieces when time and other books come between books in a series. Not liking an interruption in a series means I put off reading a series until all books have been released. I've found this out the hard way. I found Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series when it was a trilogy - a nice boxed set at B&N. Bought it, read it, loved it. And then...there was a fourth. And then...there was a prequel. And then...there was a list of release dates for book five and six, as well as prequels two and three, all published interspersed over the next so many years, which ended this past year with the last book released. Why, Cassandra, why? Not that I'm upset for more of a series I loved, but I will have to go back and reread from the beginning! That is, after they are all out in paperback, because that's how I started collecting them...but that's a topic for another day.


Anyway, here are some series I am looking forward to reading:

Source: candacesbookblog.com
1. The Mortal Instruments, by Cassandra Clare. See above, of course. If you're not familiar with this series, it begins with the book City of Bones, which was made into a movie. It's fantasy and reminds me only in genre of Harry Potter. There is an overall dark lord causing problems in the supernatural world, which is connected to the human world as well. A group of supernatural fighters work to defeat him. (Yes, much deeper than that, but best summary I could think up without an overabundance of detail. Y'all have Google!) Also my students love them and it's always good to have books to talk about with them, as well as recommend.








Source: Amazon.com


2. The Century trilogy, by Ken Follett. This series consists of Fall of Giants, Winter of the World, and Edge of Eternity. The series looks at the interrelated lives of five families, spanning from WWI to the present. I like interrelated characters, where the reader sees all the connections, even if the characters don't. And my reason for looking into it at all is two fold. First, I've read Follett before and liked his work. Second, I found the first two books in their huge hardback form at B&N for $7 each. Can't beat that! Waiting for that third one to go on sale before I start.









Source: dixiedelights.blogspot.com

3. Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. Rave review after rave review and so much excitement when a new one comes out makes me very interested. I actually have no clue what they're about and that might be good. I wouldn't want too much expectation to ruin it for me. What I've had a hard time nailing down is the number and order of books. From the author's site I've found that there are eight major novels to the series, four short novels/novellas, a handful of side/short stories, and at least one more major book (#9) in the making. (Someone correct my book numbers here, if I'm wrong.) You know what this means? Outlander will have to wait until I hear that ninth book has a publication date!


Source: christianbook.com





4. Matched trilogy, by Ally Condie. This series is dystopian, which I have enjoyed in other series thus far, such as The Hunger Games and Divergent. In the world of Matched, officials decide everything about your life, so that it may be perfect. Has something of The Giver feel to it. I will likely read these by the end of 2014.











Source: novelnovice.com




5. Uglies trilogy +1, by Scott Westerfeld. This is a trilogy consisting of Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, with a companion novel called Extras, which is from a different perspective. Again, dystopian. Everyone has plastic surgery to look perfect and, of course, there's a group who wants no part of it. These were recommended to me so long ago and I have them all ready to go. A friend recently read my set and she didn't really care for them. So I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.



Source: squeakybooks.com
6. Gone series, by Michael Grant. I believe this series may have been on a list of mine previously, but they weren't all out yet and I think they are now. There are six, one word titled books in this series: Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear, and Light. I haven't heard a whole lot from others about this series, but the premise sounds fascinating to me. Once again dystopian, the Gone series looks at a world where every single adult has disappeared. There are only teens and the story takes on a Lord of the Flies bent, where people team up: bullies against the weak, powerful against the powerless, etc. Typical problems, such as hunger, arise amid unexpected problems, like mutating animals. Sounds promising.


The Matched, Uglies, and Gone series are likely the top of this list for me because I already have the books for them and they've been sitting on my mind for awhile, ready to be read. Are you a series reader? If so, any good recommendations?

21 comments:

  1. Ok I am a series starter but ne'er a finisher. I have read 6/7 of the Harry Potters and 2/3 of Divergent. Onlyseries I have read through is Hunger Games.

    I am with you on #1 through 5. I also would like to read the Cinder series and the Flavia de Luce series ( I loved Sweeteness at the bottom of the pie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, I've heard a lot about those series too! It's a never ending list!

      Delete
  2. Don't worry about the ninth book of Outlander: the rest are so long that you probably won't have time to read them before the ninth is published. By the way, Diana told this week there will be a tenth book (I've written this while crying, you know).
    I've also read Fall of giants. I like my friend Ken, but in the end I find all his books the same. Very bad characters, very good ones... no one of the goods is killed because they are good, etc. However, I want to read the rest of the trilogy (I have the second book and the third has been published this month in my country).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tenth?! Oh geez, I'll never get to start them! Lol, but they do look huge. And I know I won't be able to wait that long.

      Delete
  3. Outlander is probably one of my favorite series of all time, and I would second the other comment that says you could start now and not wait for the 9th to be published. They are really long books, so it takes a while to get through each of them. I also enjoyed the mortal instruments and the ugly series, but couldn't finish the Matched series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matched and Uglies are making me wonder, cause it's such a mixed response I hear from everyone! I will definitely review them...just to out my two cents out there!

      Delete
  4. I am SO terrible at reading series books. I really enjoy the Flavia de Luce mysteries but I've only read two of them. I LOVE Outlander (it's not for everyone), but I've only read the first three. They're such a time commitment that I won't read the 4th until next year. I've heard good things about the Condy series but it's never interested me a ton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's the hard part about big books and long series. It does take up time. Seems like maybe I'll have to make a game of it and see how long it takes me to read each one! Lol. I read the Twilight series in a week and a half, which I thought was pretty good at the time.

      Delete
  5. Of all the series featured, the only one I've actually invested time in to is the Uglies series. I really enjoyed the first book, but as the series progressed my interest wavered - I didn't complete the entire series.

    Also, I have read Matched but wasn't really interested in the other two within the trilogy.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my friend had said. First was okay and after that she wasn't interested. It's disappointing when the first book is good or at least keeps you reading and the others flop.

      Delete
  6. May I recommend the Foundation series by Asimov? The first one is a bit boring, but it's worth getting through, cuz the other ones are a thrill. I just ordered the fourth book. Can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Are there four in the series? Is Asimov a sci-fi writer? His name sounds awfully familiar to me.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Isaac Asimov wrote mostly sci fi and popular science. There are seven books in the series. The original trilogy, two sequels and two prequels. And the prequels tie in with his Empire series and Robot series. He loved writing series :) Then there are other Foundation books written by other authors. Haven't read them yet.

      Delete
    3. Almost forgot. If you're gonna read the series, don't read the prequels if you haven't read the Robots series. There are huge spoilers. Empire Strikes Back-kind of spoilers.

      Delete
    4. Oh thanks for the heads up...I HATE spoilers!

      Delete
  7. I devoured the Matched trilogy back to back to back over Christmas a couple of years ago. It was perfect for that type of reading. I hope you get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I will. Matched is my back up book for my 2014 TBR Challenge, so it will be read by the end of December! And then, of course, I'll have to finish the series with it!

      Delete
  8. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Matched trilogy, but I will sing the praises of Outlander to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to read Outlander for Bout of Books in January! I obviously won't need to make a pile of books in that case...I could always go on to book two if I needed to.

      Delete
  9. I don't read a lot of series but highly recommend Ken Follett. That could easily be your reading for the worst part of the winter months! And now that they're all out you won't have the multi-year lag between books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to see the third one on your latest post with a good review!

      Delete