Monday, September 22, 2014

The Lit Report

Source: Amazon.com
Finally, finally, I was able to tackle one more book on my TBR Pile Challenge. The Lit Report by Sarah N. Harvey has been sitting on my self since 2009. At 197 pages, it fit perfectly into my small breaks from the massive grading I've been doing the past two weeks.

The Lit Report is the story of Julia and her best friend Ruth. Ruth finds herself pregnant a few weeks after a party and she and Julia decide they are better off hiding it from Ruth's overly involved, Christian fanatic parents. Lucky for Julia, her own stepmother is also pregnant and Julia is able to collect all kinds of supplies and information about caring for a pregnancy and birth.

The girls' plan for birth? A log cabin "home delivery," where their parents will think they are on a church retreat. And the baby safely laid on the steps of Ruth's father's church for someone to take to the hospital. There is one thing they didn't count on: falling in love with the baby.

A simple story, written to a younger audience, The Lit Report was okay. My age and experience definitely affects my view of it, but I can see a preteen or early teen audience enjoying this book. Julia, the narrator, makes books references throughout her entire reporting of the experience, which I enjoyed.

Woo hoo! for having one more challenge book done! How are your reading challenges for 2014 proceeding?

10 comments:

  1. You're lucky you picked some shorter books for your challenge. I seem to have picked an awful lot of chunksters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked four chunksters I think. Crime and Punishment being the biggest and most challenging. This one and the Pearl are the only small ones, the rest falling in between. Good luck - if I had picked any more chunksters than I did, I'd be giving up now!

      Delete
  2. I can imagine my age and experience affecting my view of this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea. I'm not even sure how I ended up with the book, based on the premise. But that many years ago, who knows?

      Delete
  3. Always feels so good crossing another book off the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Not only the challenge, but the TBR more!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing the challenge!! The book sounds a bit kitschy--not sure it would be one for me. But yay for having finished!!

    Good luck with the grading. :( Reading between grading sounds like the perfect reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I still have a couple more on the challenge left. And yea, I wouldn't recommend this one for most any adults. You really have to have that dreamy, unrealistic teenage thing going on! Lol!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like it could be a good book and I love bookish references, but it also seems as though it turned out to be a bit simplistic in execution. Probably one I'll pass on. I love bookish challenges, but I have a ways to go before I finish most of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the description - simplistic in execution.

      Delete